Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sanctuary city.

2. Member
    Maryland wants to become the first sanctuary state.

3. Member
    I also heard that these two could not speak English. How the heck can they learn, if they can't understand what is being said?? May be the school provided an interpreter??

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    These guys were in the 9th grade. Not adult education. But you are correct, which points how pathetic some school boards are.
    It's not the school boards that decide that, it's the federal government or at least the state government that gives people the right to an education up to a certain age. These guys are not that old compared to the other kids at the school. 18 is the typical age that people graduate high school, but you have multiple people who fail a year or two so they can easily be 19 or 20 by the time they graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    I also heard that these two could not speak English. How the heck can they learn, if they can't understand what is being said?? May be the school provided an interpreter??
    Happens all the time, they stick kids in science class or math class who can't speak English. Not they typically don't have an interpreter, but will have someone at the school that works with them on English. I had a girl a couple years ago that didn't speak any English and came from Bosnia. Our English language teacher told me well so and so had some students from Mexico last year and they were able to find some Biology workbooks that were written in Spanish at a garage sale so maybe you can go look at some garage sales and find some Bosnian science books for her so she can learn.

6. Banned
    Maybe going for a soccer scholarship???

7. Member
    Yep. Its that damn Obama. He started it all. He let em all in. At least its stopped now, and we are safe. The savior has been anointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarpbass View Post
    thanks obama
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

8. Member
    Looking back I would have failed 3-4 times knowing what was coming the day I got that diploma in my hand.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Member
    I am not in any way making up for what these two scumbags did to this girl. If they are guilty then let them fry imo. However, it is federal law, and has been for a long time, that any ESL student that enrolls in high school gets three years from the time that they enroll to try to graduate or until they turn 21. Most of these kids have been brought to America without any knowledge or say so about where they are going and what their future might hold. I can only speak for the students that I come into contact with on a daily basis when I say that almost all of them are the hardest working kids we have. They want to learn and be a part of this country so bad. They come to school all day and then go work 8-10 hours in the evening cooking the food that the rest of us eat at your local Mexican restaurant just to help their families scrape by. If they are undocumented, they do not get all of the entitlements that for some reason so many Americans believe they get. Most of them are in some phase of becoming a documented American citizen. They have to miss school for a couple of days every other week or so to go to court for this reason. Do I think that they should remain undocumented? No. To me that is common sense. They need to become a legal citizen if they are going to stay here. However, lets remember that these are children that have been brought here often against their will, and they are simply trying to make their life better. Just like most of our ancestors did. Oh I forgot, all of our ancestors have been here since the beginning of time.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

10. Member
    A lot of this goes back to No Child Left Behind. I am a middle school teacher and I have a couple 16 year olds in 8th grade. If students have things like Individual Education Plans, and are English Second language learners, it could keep them longer in a particular grade.

11. Member
    Knew a kid(man) who was two years ahead of me in middle school and graduated with me, hell he had a beard in 7th grade.
    Red Sox in 6!

12. Member
    One of the problems also is were these kids comes from there doctrined into some of the most violent gangs at a very young age sorta like some Muslims.

University of Phoenix isn't a safe place.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

Quote Originally Posted by jwh7399 View Post
    It is not so common for a 17 year old and 18 year old to be in 9th grade.
    We had one at the Jr High I taught at and yes, he was dumb a a fence post.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Uber sports parents hold their kids back before putting them in K.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Most of your seniors turn 18 during their senior year. Your Freshman then are 14-15 so yes it is very common for 18 year olds to be at school with 14 year olds.
    That is very true...and what earned one of my classmates the nickname of "cherry picker".

Quote Originally Posted by trenthamp View Post
    Yep. Its that damn Obama. He started it all. He let em all in. At least its stopped now, and we are safe. The savior has been anointed.
    Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

18. Member
    Why are they here? Did they hear the schools in Maryland were better than their home town? The older one was arrested in Texas LAST YEAR by a border patrol officer. Maryland is a long way from Texas. Where does a high school freshman live when he just recently jumped the border? It's a cold spring, he can't be sleeping on the street.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12