Shipping to Canada

My American brothers:

Twice this week I was politely refused shipping some baits to me because I am in Canada. Maybe many of you are not aware of just how easy the computer has actually made this for you. All of it can be done on line. The easiest and cheapest way to ship is USPS First Class International. The paperwork is simple and most of us are wiling to pay the extra couple of dollars for shipping. It easy to estimate weight. The shipping label with the customs form can be printed from your computer and simply attached to the parcel. It takes only a couple of minutes. A few baits can be sent in a small bubble envelope. Larger items, such as reels or a larger number of baits, obviously will have to go in a box.

I really encourage you to try and help us out here in Canada. The market for used baits is non-existent, and the market for used reels is tiny.

Please give more consideration when one of us here in the north asks you to ship something to us.

Thanks
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

As Catdude says, it's a very simple form. If you're sending from the post office they have the forms, takes less than 2 minutes to fill out the address that you're sending to and you just note what's in the package and a value for Customs....that's it. It works the same if we're shipping something to the US, we fill out basically the same form.
    UPS, FedEx etc., all have the forms.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Catdude and Al are correct. I had my first customer to Canada inform me that USPS had it figured out a long time ago and it was not difficult. I've shipped my product to Canada several times and it's not as scary as it may seem. I always ship USPS Priority mail. If you go to USPS.com you can get the shipping label for any method and also print the forms needed for Customs. Priority mail all I have to know is if it fits it ships but for first class you just have to come up with a weight and package size. Bottom line is don't leave our friends to the north out just over shipping.

Dennis
    D & H Designs, LLC
    MarineTrailerSavers.com

I've shipped a couple of rods to Canada using USPS and it was no problem. Printed the label online and really wasn't that much more than US shipping.

6. Member
    Canadian Post is very reliable, and not much more expensive than shipping in the US. No worries shipping anything to Canada.

7. Member

8. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    takes less than 2 minutes to fill out
    Time is money. 2 minutes is just soooo much to ask anymore in the "ME World"...

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

9. Banned
    If you have a paypal account you dont even need to leave the house. https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/ Theoretically I could ship a 1lb padded envelope item to Al in Ontario for $6.00

10. Banned
    My major problem with shipping to Canada wasn't really the cost, it was the lack of reliable tracking options once a package has crossed the border. If that's changed, I wasn't aware of it. I would check every once in a while.
    Most guys were willing to pay the additional few bucks for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post
    My major problem with shipping to Canada wasn't really the cost, it was the lack of reliable tracking options once a package has crossed the border. If that's changed, I wasn't aware of it. I would check every once in a while.
    Most guys were willing to pay the additional few bucks for shipping.
    You shouldn't have any tracking problems with UPS or FedEx, but tracking with the Post Office does suck. They basically tell you when it left and when it arrived (unless that has changed in the past couple of years).

Canadians rock, don't lose out on profit!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

13. Member
    You shouldn't have any tracking problems with UPS or FedEx, but tracking with the Post Office does suck. They basically tell you when it left and when it arrived (unless that has changed in the past couple of years).
    That has changed too Al. I did get a small package of a few baits from a member last week via USPS First Class International, and it was trackable start to finish. Once in Canada, you can track it through Canada Post.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...&s=ci&mail=sys

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s2
    Last edited by catdude28; 03-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    That has changed too Al. I did get a small package of a few baits from a member last week via USPS First Class International, and it was trackable start to finish. Once in Canada, you can track it through Canada Post.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...&s=ci&mail=sys

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s2
    Glad to hear that it's changed.

15. Banned
    Glad to hear that it's changed.
    It was actually quite remarkable that tracking from Japan was easier than tracking through Canada.

16. Member
    I have shipped to Canada several times with no difference between the USA. It is easy just costs a little bit more.

18. Member
    Just came across this thread looking up int'l shipping to Canada... I think the best decision is to make a kinek.com account, set http://newyorkmailbox.com/ as your preferred kinek destination and cross the boarder to pick up your package in Niagara Falls NY for 7$ cad (I live near Niagara Falls Canada so the boarder is a 15 minute drive from my house). I do this all the time. I pay 7$ (each pkg) + bridge fee (now 5$) to pick up my packages which has saved me hundreds so far by avoiding international shipping. I've always got gear in my SUV and I usually cross the boarder to buy gas/go out for dinner so anything I pick up blends in with what I've carried over in the first place which saves me some pesos by not having to declare items for tax. I've also been told by some Canadian customs officers that Canadians don't have to pay tax on items brought back into the country if they were purchased through private sale online and not through an online retailer but don't quote me on that, if an officer wants to charge me tax on an item they won't hesitate.

19. Member
    Hello folks...I work for Canada Post, in International Sales. As suggested, tracking is available with USPS from origin to destination, but it does depend on the level of service that the sender chooses.

Taxes and duties should be applied by our customs agency, prior to release to Canada Post, when value is greater than $20. However, due to volume of parcels going northbound, many parcels pass through without being assessed duty and taxes.

The new USMCA deal should raise the $20 threshold (called de minimis), and allow Canadians to enjoy a greater degree of tax and duty free shopping from the US (although final details are tbc as far as I understand).

When merchants ship large volumes to Canada, we work with them to bypass USPS, clear customs commercially, and induct to Canada Post direct.

Above pertains to commercial shipping for business to consumer, most should be applicable to consumer to consumer as well.

Cheers.

20. Member
    My original post was two years ago. I still find that most every time I try to buy something here on BBC, members do not want to ship to Canada, even though I am willing to pay more for shipping.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S