Starting battery for optimax

I currently have a interstate 24M-RD that was in the boat when I purchased it.It has a 150hp optimax on it. I have never had a problem in the two years I have had the boat but have read some threads that it is way under power. Should I change it or keep using? What to switch to if so?

2. Member
    If you have a batteries plus near you the x2 Power is a good one.

You've never had a problem. Sounds like its working fine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    You've never had a problem. Sounds like its working fine.
    Kinda what I was thinking but I saw were it was way under powered and don't want to mess anything up.

That battery is not close to what you should have. If you are not going to move up to a bigger battery then at least get the 24M-XHD. This would provide the min. requirements for the Optimax engine and it's only $20 more.
    2012 Ranger Z119 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
    That battery is not close to what you should have. If you are not going to move up to a bigger battery then at least get the 24M-XHD. This would provide the min. requirements for the Optimax engine and it's only $20 more.
    But why switch if he has never had any problems? I mean, I do agree that this batter is smaller than what I run, I'd get at least a GRP 27, but it seems for his needs it is fine. Do you know if, as he asked, running a battery this size will cause some sort of damage to the motor?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Don't select a battery for an Optimax based on gp size, choose a battery based on CCA or MCA and reserve capacity (RC). Optimax engine only minimum required capacity is 800CCA or 1000MCA. It's not a matter of "if" a battery that doesn't meet engine only minimum capacity will leave you stranded it's a matter of "when" it will fail to start your engine. If you can tolerate failure on the water any time, any where, no need to change. If not, think about the consequences and choose accordingly.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

The Interstate 24M-XHD provides the min 800 CCA- 1000 MCA the Optimax requires. Any electronics and or pumps and poles will need more power.

With this battery you won't have to install a new tray!
    Last edited by KevinP; 03-23-2017 at 04:29 PM.

10. Member
    Is it ok to use a commercial battery to start an optimax or does it have to be for marine use? In another post someone said to use a commercial battery from advanced auto. It is 995CCA.

Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    Is it ok to use a commercial battery to start an optimax or does it have to be for marine use? In another post someone said to use a commercial battery from advanced auto. It is 995CCA.
    I think the main thing about a marine battery is it is built to be a little more durable to handle the stress of rough water. So if your commercial battery has similar qualities it should be OK. Keep in mind that reserve capacity (RC) is important as well. If a battery has a high MCA or CCA but low RC it may not be a good choice.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    Yes and Don has indicated in the Battery topic it would be a good choice for someone on a budget.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    That's what I think I'm going to get. Thanks

14. Member
    Interstate 31-XHD or NAPA BCI #31, part # 7234, either is a beast!

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend you go with something in the 950+ CCA range for a fishing application. Engine ALONE requires 800 CCA.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Recommend you go with something in the 950+ CCA range for a fishing application. Engine ALONE requires 800 CCA.
    I went with the commercial battery from advanced auto. It has 995CCA. Have not put it in yet Had to buy a new tray. Hopefully this battery works good with the optimax. It is maintenance free. Hope that's not an issue.

17. Member
    I went with the commercial battery from advanced auto. It has 995CCA. Have not put it in yet Had to buy a new tray. Hopefully this battery works good with the optimax. It is maintenance free. Hope that's not an issue.
    No issue for Optimax.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax