Lower Unit Clicking In Neutral

250XS sn#1E003900 Sportmaster gear case.

When in neutral and I spin the prop by hand there is a clicking noise. This happens when I spin the prop clock wise or counter clockwise. Google searches says the shifter cable needs adjusting. I haven't tried it yet but my mechanic says the lower is on it's way out. I havent discussed how he diagnosed it as he called at a busy time for me and closed by the time I got freed up. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Recently changed lower oil, no metal on magnetic screw. Refilled with Mercury Racing Gear Oil.
    Prop is torqed at 100 lbs.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

2. Member
    As you rotate the prop have someone slightly move the shiftier, not enough to engage gear but just a slight movement back and forth and see if the sound goes away. If it does Id say your cable is out of adjustment. Unfortunately bearing issues such as inner race, outer race, rolling element defects or cage defects cant always be detected merely by doing a visual inspection of the fluid, that requires lab diagnostics. Once again dont move the shiftier enough to engage, just a slight movement.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also CHECK the shift cable adjustment. Shift anchor stud must be centered on the NEUTRAL position (even movement either side of neutral when centered in it's "free travel").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor