Thread: Charleston S.C.

Banned

Charleston S.C.

Anyone have some ideas of nice communities down around the Charleston SC area to retire to? Safe and Clean with some decent fishing pretty close.

2. Member
    summerton, is nice and close to Santee

3. Member
    Murrels Inlet and Pawleys Island

4. Member
    Summerville "home of sweet tea" is about 45 minutes from both Santee Lakes. Also plenty of saltwater fishing and shrimping.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you have some jack, Daniel Island is nice.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRYE View Post
    Summerville "home of sweet tea" is about 45 minutes from both Santee Lakes. Also plenty of saltwater fishing and shrimping.
    +1 for Summerville. Lived there for a while. Nice place

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TD3 View Post
    +1 for Summerville. Lived there for a while. Nice place
    As a recent evacuee of summerville...couldnt give me a house there. I guess it depends what you want or used to. Sorry-not sitting in 30 min of traffic to go 3 miles. Lived in moncks corner summerville and knightsville. Moncks corner was my favorite. Close to the lower lake as well. My .02
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

8. Member
    Traffic in Summerville was awful ten years ago and I understand it's just horrendous these days. I recall when I moved into Crowfield back in 86 it was the place to be. I'd listen to these guys saying shy away.

9. Member
    If you're retired and don't have to fight the work traffic in the early mornings and late afternoons, then you're golden.

A lot is going to depend on your budget and what you're looking for. Goose Creek is a 20-25 minute drive from downtown Charleston, and has lower taxes then Charleston. It also puts you 20-25 minutes away from the closest landing at Santee, and 20 minutes away from the Cooper River.

Have any questions, fire away.

10. Member
    Mount Pleasant (just to see what the overall opinion is...LOL)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinCustody View Post
    Mount Pleasant (just to see what the overall opinion is...LOL)
    Crowded. Overpriced. Traffic worse than Summerville.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Crowded. Overpriced. Traffic worse than Summerville.
    X2. Pretty much draw a line 30 miles out from Charleston and thats where you want to leave. Inland of that line. Some people may like the amenities and being close to things. Not worth the headache in my opinion. Once again just my .02 from living down there. Moncks corner was my favorite.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Could go south, John's island, James Island, West Ashley.

14. Member
    I have recently did what you are proposing to do. Retired from Ohio to Charleston area. Three weeks ago moved into a new construction home. We stayed in Eutawville while waiting for the house to finished. Eutawv. Is in lake Marion's back yard. Great fishing but to far out for most amenities. Or new home is in moncks corner just a few miles from goose Creek . I am 5 minutes from cooper River ramp. And 15 minutes from lower lake Moultrie. Seems everything South East or South West of us is congested. We were informed when we moved down here "45" families a day are moving into this area. It's a beautiful area with very friendly people. Allot of land is being,and have been aquired by developers and building very nice communities. My suggestion would be moncks corner and asap for home prices are rising.
    Last edited by Tohio; 03-24-2017 at 04:38 PM.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    I have recently did what you are proposing to do. Retired from Ohio to Charleston area. Three weeks ago moved into a new construction home. We stayed in Eutawville while waiting for the house to finished. Eutawv. Is in lake Marion's back yard. Great fishing but to far out for most amenities. Or new home is in moncks corner just a few miles from goose Creek . I am 5 minutes from cooper River ramp. And 15 minutes from lower lake Moultrie. Seems everything South East or South West of us is congested. We were informed when we moved down here "45" families a day are moving into this area. It's a beautiful area with very friendly people. Allot of land is being,and have been aquired by developers and building very nice communities. My suggestion would be moncks corner and asap for home prices are rising.
    I'm sure Boeing has nothing to do with the influx of folks.

16. Member
    I recently fished a week on Winyah Bay and we stayed in the area of Pawleys Island and it was a nice little community!

285 Stratos PRO XL/ 175 Merc
    2006 Z-71