Any fun stuff near Yellville?....

My 7 year old and I will be camping and exploring the Buffalo river at some point and was wondering if there are any cool things to do aside from the river. Any tips on places to eat or fun things to do for a father/son who loves the outdoors are appreciated!

2. Member
    Tour basscat in Mtn Home

3. Member
    Drive over to Peel and take him across the peel ferry. Last operating ferry in the state. Mystic caverns just outside Harrison. Dam tour at Bull Shoals.

4. Member
    Black sheep Joes BBQ in Yellville. Nima's pizza in Gassville, one of the best pizzas in the country.

Thanks you guys! Sounds like we will be busy :)

6. Member
    Ranger is 10 minutes away. They do a tour daily at 8:30, 10:30, and 1:30. Go to the Bull Shoals damn 10 minutes up the road from Ranger. Buffalo City where the Buffalo meets the White is close by. I would go to Salesville to the Norfork damn, there is a hatchery there and a really nice youth only fishing area with very nice wooden piers along the creek for kids to fish from. Trust me your 7 year old would love that spot.

7. Member
    Oh and definitely yes to Nima's Pizza. They've won competitions from Vegas to Italy, even China. You can view their menu online. If you want one of their competition winning pizzas you sometimes have to order them two to three days in advance.

http://www.nimaspizza.com/

8. Member
    Dry run creek is at the hatchery, here's a link with a picture of the walkway along the creek. I highly recommend it because when I was a kid my Uncle would take me there every summer and we would also trout fish the White and Norfork. We put in at Rose's Trout Dock in the town of Norfork where the two rivers meet. I was about your son's age when we started going there and will never forget those summers.

http://www.ozarkmtns.com/sylamore/points/point2.asp

Also if you go to the town of Norfork where you turn to go to the White and Norfork Rivers intersection you will pass the Jacob Wolf house. You can go in and check it out, here's the history on it.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...x?entryID=2113

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    As already recommended, Dry Run Creek (and the hatchery) would be a must-see if your boy likes trout fishing.

Used to be (maybe still is?) a good dirt track @ Yellville. Been years, but was good racing when I went. Crooked Creek and its great smallmouth fishing is right there, as well.

If you want to take a day to expand your exploration, the drive south (~2 hrs) between Harrison and Russellville on 'Scenic 7' is cool. And if you make it that far, you may as well drive another short jaunt west on I-40 along Lake Dardanelle and the Arkansas River... There's a pretty famous bobcat that lives at Lamar.
    Who controls John Gill?

Thanks for the tip - I wonder if Danny will let us pet the bobcat?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    As already recommended, Dry Run Creek (and the hatchery) would be a must-see if your boy likes trout fishing.

Used to be (maybe still is?) a good dirt track @ Yellville. Been years, but was good racing when I went. Crooked Creek and its great smallmouth fishing is right there, as well.

If you want to take a day to expand your exploration, the drive south (~2 hrs) between Harrison and Russellville on 'Scenic 7' is cool. And if you make it that far, you may as well drive another short jaunt west on I-40 along Lake Dardanelle and the Arkansas River... There's a pretty famous bobcat that lives at Lamar.

11. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    Thanks for the tip - I wonder if Danny will let us pet the bobcat?
    Danny probably will, it's Gibs you got to get permission from.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

12. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Dont forget to tour the the James Gaston center at Bull Shoals Damn

"Success is never owned, it is rented, and the rent is due every day."

Thanks guys! I will post some pics when we get back!

14. Member
    The fishing is good for smallies in both the Buffalo River and Crooked creek. Any or your favorite smallmouth baits will work, but i like 4" grubs in watermelon or pumpkin seed, finesse worms in the same colors, bandit 100 crank baits in taco salad, tubes in watermelon red, and any of your favorite topwaters.(just downsize some). Also a great place to eat is the FrontPorch restaurant on HWY. 62 and the Depot in Flippin. We usually stay at the Marion Clarion in Yellville on 62, it is clean and cheap. Have fun!

15. Member
    Front Porch Restaurant is now a medical clinic. Sorry, was a good place to eat.

16. Member
    Stop by the spring at Ralph, (between Yellville and the Buffalo) take county road 5040 east at Ralph for no more than a mile,

Quote Originally Posted by jeffie View Post
    Stop by the spring at Ralph, (between Yellville and the Buffalo) take county road 5040 east at Ralph for no more than a mile,
    Are you the same jeffie from Mt View that's on Fearless Friday?

18. Member
    Are you the same jeffie from Mt View that's on Fearless Friday?
    No, different one, I am outside of Malvern

Take him trout fishing below Bull Shoals or Norfork. Most all of the resorts/docks will rent you a boat/motor/gear/etc. It's actually not very expensive and a kid would LOVE IT!

As for Gibs? SURE! But, I'm about 100 miles from there. Doesn't sound like much, but, I'm 250 miles from OKC and I could get there quicker.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

20. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I recommend Hwy 7 too. I believe you can lookout at the Arkansas Grand Canyon ? Good swimming spot in the old days along the Buffalo River at Hwy 7. Just drive and enjoy the peaceful Ozarks and stop at any little shop. Rock shops are fun for kids. Buy him a Rock so he can become a Rock Hound.