Question More Questions About The "Donkey Rig"

I've been studying the donkey rig, read the previous threads, etc. I've got a rod rigged to try it, but I have some questions.
    1) Have you tried using two different colored baits?
    2) Have you tried using two different sized baits?
    3) Have you tried using lizards, worms, etc., instead of Fluke-type baits?
    4) Have you tried using circle hooks?

Right off the get-go, I'm thinking two sizes or two colors might work real well. I'm also thinking that lizards might work real well. If you have any other strange ideas about this, feel free to add your own list of crazed thoughts. Spring is here! Kinda, almost!!!

2. Member
    Sometimes I use a fluke and a Gambler Flappin shad (Fluke with a paddle tail). Different days they prefer one over the other.

3. Member
    Wacky rigged 6.5" Kuttails in #297 definitely does not work.....

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I'll be sure not to try that, dmoto.

I got the appointed rod* rigged up last night, with #10 Tatsu and two different brands of circle hooks. My thinking is that if there are two fish there and one hits, I won't be able to set the hook on a second volunteer. With the circle hook, the first fish will essentially set the hook on the second. I'm going to belly hook the Flukes, so wacky rigging a worm seems right. Not sure about that with a lizard, however.

* Rod is a new Denali AttaX 7' MH, fast tip, with a 7:1 Chronarch. Not sure the Flukes will weigh enough to load the rod and make a decent cast. I hate buying new rods online, but we don't get many bass rods up here to see in a store. If the rod isn't right, I'll find one that is.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 03-22-2017 at 04:23 PM.