Shimano Metanium

Where is the best place to purchase these reels? I'm wanting several of them and can't seem to locate them at a reasonable price.

2. Member
    Sent you a pm

3. Member
    Call the tackle trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Call the tackle trap.
    this right here

5. Member
    Call the Tackle Trap. Just got mine today!! Great people, great service!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    Where is the best place to purchase these reels? I'm wanting several of them and can't seem to locate them at a reasonable price.
    I bought two new MGL from digitaka.com for $293 each. You purchase through PayPal and it does the yen to dollar conversion for you. Because the dollar is strong you can get a good deal. Shipping is free and most of the guys that buy the high end JBM reels on here go through them. I was skeptical but did it and couldn't have been happier. They arrived in right at a week.

7. Member
    But, the JBM reels have smaller spools than the US ones.

Contacted Gary @ Tackle Trap, very nice guy.

8. Member
    No they do not!! Let's go over this again shall we.

9. Member
    Chronarch 12# = 110 yards
    Metanium 12# = 100 meters

Now let's have a math lesson. 1 meter = 1.094 yards so if you multiply 100 meters x 1.094 that = 109.4 yards.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Chronarch 12# = 110 yards
    Metanium 12# = 100 meters

Now let's have a math lesson. 1 meter = 1.094 yards so if you multiply 100 meters x 1.094 that = 109.4 yards.
    guys on another board claim the Japan diameter for say a 10# line is smaller then a US 10#. Here is the test we need in my mind. Transfer the line from your CI4 to a MetMGL, How much does not fit? It won't surprise me if the difference is within feet but I have not way of proving this short of a test.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

The JDM MGL spool is in fact shallower than the US Metanium MGL. It is correct that Japan lists their line capacity based on their "class line" rating system. The US version is not based on a "class line" rating system. Look at the line diameter of 12lb. Sunline vs 12lb. P-Line as an example. If there are any doubts about this, just call Shimano and verify. While I don't have an exact measurement of the difference, it works out to somewhere between 10 and 20 yards MORE line on the US Metanium MGL.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The JDM MGL spool is in fact shallower than the US Metanium MGL. It is correct that Japan lists their line capacity based on their "class line" rating system. The US version is not based on a "class line" rating system. Look at the line diameter of 12lb. Sunline vs 12lb. P-Line as an example. If there are any doubts about this, just call Shimano and verify. While I don't have an exact measurement of the difference, it works out to somewhere between 10 and 20 yards MORE line on the US Metanium MGL.
    This is true, I have a JDM Met MGL has a shallow spool, also have a US Met MGL with a deeper spool. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.