Question Too much prop torque?

I just installed my repaired Fury prop on my 225 Yamaha. I really put the muscle on it when I tightened it down in order to get the cotter pin lined up. Will it hurt anything so tight? I don't have a torque wrench.

I believe Mercury prop torque specs depend on the hub...I'm not sure how that changes when put onto a Yamaha, if it changes. The hub that I have on my Merc XRi EFI with a Tempest (Flo Torq II with the forward bushing) requires 100 ft-lbs which is really damn tight. The same hub without the forward bushing is 55 ft-lbs...I can't quite remember but I believe the bushing is used for some props (Tempest and Fury included in the "use it" bucket) and not for others. I'm not sure if you'd still use the same hub on a Yamaha, though it would make sense that the torque specs would be similar.

If you had to tighten it that much to get the cotter pin through, I've got to believe it's not too tight. Standard advice I've always *heard* is to tighten to cotter pin or torque specs, whichever is greater. Suppose that makes sense. If you tighten to torque specs but can't get the cotter pin through, you're asking for trouble. Similarly, if you tighten to the cotter pin hole but the bolt is still loose, that doesn't make a lot of sense either.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 03-22-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Adding more information
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Thank you for the response. Manuel says 55 lbs torque. I'm going to buy a torque wrench and see what happens. Thanks again.

If you installed a McGard prop lock then you'd eliminate the need for the cotter pin. And the McGard lock also calls for 55#.

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    If you installed a McGard prop lock then you'd eliminate the need for the cotter pin. And the McGard lock also calls for 55#.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I have heard of dealers torquing so tight it is lifting up the arse end of the boat. So I bet you are fine.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

7. Member
    I to am curious about this. I recently purchased a new hub kit for my 150 yamaha hpdi. Running trophy plus. The hub kit came with thrust washer, sleeve, a thick brass washer then the castle nut. Problem is when i tighten the castle nut down the cotter pin wont go in. At this point its pretty tight. Do i keep tightening it or get a diff washer? I dont own a torgue wrench yet.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Or a grunt and a half!!!

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC88 View Post
    I to am curious about this. I recently purchased a new hub kit for my 150 yamaha hpdi. Running trophy plus. The hub kit came with thrust washer, sleeve, a thick brass washer then the castle nut. Problem is when i tighten the castle nut down the cotter pin wont go in. At this point its pretty tight. Do i keep tightening it or get a diff washer? I dont own a torgue wrench yet.
    You can back it off and see if you have any play. If your struggling to get it tight its too tight. You just need a grunt and a half.
    Get it tight and go to where you can line up the key, is what I have always done with no issue.

10. Member
    First time I removed my current prop (10 years ago), I found that the thick brass washer had several cracks radiating outward from the center. I didn't over think it, just replaced it and went on. I've always used a torque wrench and have never had a problem since. I assumed that the previous owner had over tightened the prop nut.

11. Member
    I prefer German torque... guttentight