How to tell if trolling motor is bad?

MotorGuide trolling motor, 24volts. I had a fuse melt and trying to troubleshoot to make sure the motor is bad before buying a new one. I installed a circuit breaker and the TM still isn't working. What should I do to see if the actual motor is gone?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Motor is possibly repairable even it the problem is motor related. Check your connector on both sides and measure voltage at the connectors
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13v at battery and trolling motor, shouldn't it show 24v?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaredFishless View Post
    13v at battery and trolling motor, shouldn't it show 24v?
    Both batteries measure 13V or just one? There is a jumper someplace, either at the batteries or in the connector, to make the 24V.
    nothing else matters.​

Yes both batteries were 13v, I put the multimeter on the back of the switch at the trolling motor plug. Top and bottom measured 13v also.

6. Member
    Should read 24V at the plug. If not you have wires shorted somewhere. Unplug the trolling motor and check voltage at the plug. If you have 24V it's the motor if not its your wires or possibly a battery.
    Please release me,let me go.

Now if I do one positive on one battery and the negative on other the readout is around 3v

Stick the multimeter in the socket?

12.9v so it seems I don't have the 24v circuit.. I tried tracing the wires but can't find where it's ran.. figured it was in the rod box but can't find it.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Yes both batteries were 13v, I put the multimeter on the back of the switch at the trolling motor plug. Top and bottom measured 13v also.
    Now if I do one positive on one battery and the negative on other the readout is around 3v
    First, make sure your meter isn't on a 20V range and giving you bad numbers.

If your batteries each have a red cable and a black cable on them, then it would be normal to read two 13V circuits at the front. The jumper in the connector makes the 24V. Try measuring all combinations of pins at the front to see what you get. You should get 26V somewhere. If not, pull the connector out and take a look at the back side. Should have 4 wires, with a brass plate connecting two of them together.
    nothing else matters.​

I pulled the TM connector out the plug and put the pongs in the holes, did not find any 24v.. on the backside where there are 2 black and 2 red wires on each side - I got 12v on both connections.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I pulled the TM connector out the plug and put the pongs in the holes, did not find any 24v.. on the backside where there are 2 black and 2 red wires on each side - I got 12v on both connections.
    Anything look overheated on the back of the connector? What brand connector? If you can, try measuring the voltage on the back of the connector with the TM plugged in. The jumper could be on the TM side of the connector.
    Last edited by CatFan; 03-22-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    nothing else matters.​

I think I figured it out, thanks all.

What was the issue that you found and fixed?
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Short in the wire at the battery.

15. Member
    Short: an unintended path for electrical current travel.
    Open: no path or high resistance path for electrical current travel.