Thread: Glide baits

Glide baits

I think I'm going to add one of these to my arsenal.Been looking at reviews and right now I'm leaning toward the Savage Gear glide swimmer or River 2 Sea S-Waiver 168. They are fairly cheap compared to Deps,MB and Roman Made.

Just a few questions for guys that throw these regularly.At what water temp do you start throwing these and what depth are you targeting when throwing them ?
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 03-22-2017 at 11:55 AM.

2. Member
    Typically I want water that's between 60-63 degrees. That seems to work best. And I target shallow water, typically less than 5 feet.

I bought the 3D shine glide. Looks just like a Gizzard shad which is the main forage here in Ohio. I'm gonna start throwing it at 50 degree water temps in probably 8 ft or less.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    I bought the 3D shine glide. Looks just like a Gizzard shad which is the main forage here in Ohio. I'm gonna start throwing it at 50 degree water temps in probably 8 ft or less.

This was another bait I just found.Watched a few you tube vids on it and it looks real good. Got pretty good review on Tackle Tour as well.Think I might pick this one up as well.Would like to hear from you if you have good results at those temps.

5. Member
    cant go wrong with the 168 s waver

6. Member
    I usually don't throw a glide until the water is over 60 deg. I'll throw them at pretty much any depth but I like the water to be clear.

An option that's priced in between is a Gancraft Claw 178 (like $70). I personally prefer it to a Deps 175. I mainly throw it in the summer and though I've caught some good ones on it, it's a great bait to just raise fish on and then catch them a different way. For bigger swimbaits in general I do it like this.

Prespawn - 6" Huddleston or 68 up to like 60 deg
    Postspawn - Rat (SproBBZ is great for the price, just change the hooks) or Slammer
    Summer - Glides (Claw and Taterhog Little Willy are my favorite) and Bluegill baits (hard or soft), Shellcracker and Hootchie Mama are my favorite hard gills and floating Mattlures U2 is my favorite soft
    Fall - Kind of all over the place I don't quite have it figured out yet

7. Member
    I would go with a R2S 168 for sure as your first glide bait. I still use the Savage Gear Glideswimmer, but I don't think the action is as wide, and the bait rolls a little more than I like. They definitely work best with some visibility in the water, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one in 50-55 degree temps on warming days. If the fish are pushing up and feeding up, they can be great. Probably the best aspect of a glide bait in spring is for prefishing. They won't always commit, but usually they'll take a look and show themselves. Above 60, I keep a glide bait on the deck if the visibility is is over 3 feet.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Thanks guys.Looked at Gan Craft,Deps,MB,Jackall.While they all look good I'm suppressing my "all in" OCD for now. As I'm just going to experiment with them this year I think I'll try the S-Waver and 3D Shine Glides.
    Now for a rod. I'm thinking of just using a Dobyn's 735 or Hammer 7'3" xh. I'm going to spool with Sunline Defier mono for a little added stretch and I can go over to walking baits buzzbaits and ploppers with that setup.

9. Member
    Those rods will work, but if this is something you are going to do a lot, I would recommend something with a softer tip or you will lose too many fish. I have used the Dobyns 764c in a pinch (and lost a lot of fish), but I really like the orginal W&M 8' Flipping rod. It's terrible for flipping, but has a great tip for swimbaits and is super cheap. I now have a Dobyn's 736CB Glass and that works great too, just can't cast it quite as far.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Those rods will work, but if this is something you are going to do a lot, I would recommend something with a softer tip or you will lose too many fish. I have used the Dobyns 764c in a pinch (and lost a lot of fish), but I really like the orginal W&M 8' Flipping rod. It's terrible for flipping, but has a great tip for swimbaits and is super cheap. I now have a Dobyn's 736CB Glass and that works great too, just can't cast it quite as far.
    Sent you a pm. I wonder how much fishing style affects rod choice. I watched a vid on the r-2-s 178 with Matt Allen(Tactical Bassin).He swears by the Dobyn's 764c for this lure.He noted he loses fish on a softer tip rod due to fish being able to shake the lure off. Go figure.

11. Member
    Personally id say go swaver if want a good entry or go negotiator if can spend the money.
    I start at 50 degrees or so depending if lmb or smb. As soon as fish in under 12' or so such as a sunny spring afternoon with 50 degree water temps.
    As far as rods there is some difference in bait size/weight that effects my choice. I prefer a rod similar to what you would throw a similar weight topwater on like a lunker punker or slammer. For the 168 swaver i like a 744 type rod with braid to mono leader.
    For the negotiator i throw a slower action rod like an LDC heavy. If you're under 6' tall i'd try to stay 7'4" range and 7'6" very longest as gets tougher to impart action if twitching bait if rod hitting water.
    If you love fishing a jerkbait you may have a tendency to twitch a glide more than a guy that does not fish jerkbaits much...just something ive noticed over time.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.