Question Mount old jack plate or not?

Hello all, I know this probably isn't the right forum but I just wanted some opinions. I have an older bass rig I'm restoring for this season and had to take the motor off to give my transom some love ( whole nother topic) . Anyway I have an old discontinued cmc powerlift jack plate that is new to me but apparently does work, just needs switch hooked up and possibly some hydraulic fluid added?? My question is since I've heard nothing but bad reviews on this lift should I just mount the motor without it on or is it worth the possible problems to stick with it? The motor is underated for the size boat so will i see a benefit anyways?

2. Banned
    Nothing but bad reviews? And your still thinking about it.....

3. Member
    I'd put it on till it breaks! It's free!
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

4. Member
    Well that's one for and one against

5. Member
    If your planning on keeping boat fixed it right.
    If you planning on selling put the old one back on.

6. Banned
    How old of a boat are we talking? Older boats typically don't have strong enough transoms for jackplates.

I ran a CMC Powerlift for 7 years without any problems in the time I owned it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    How old of a boat are we talking? Older boats typically don't have strong enough transoms for jackplates.
    I ran a CMC Powerlift for 7 years without any problems in the time I owned it.
    Holy Crap!! Now you tell me. I put a jackplate on my 1998 Stratos. At least I think it's a '98, I have had it a while and forget a lot. As a matter of fact, I'm getting good at forgetting.

If you don't know what to do with it give it to me, someday I might be able to afford a newer boat.

If you gave the transom some 'love' you know what is back there.

The jack plate will add some stress. Questions to ask yourself: How long was it on there before? Is that what caused the transom issues?.... If so I wouldn't put it back on.

Had a '98 Fisher 21' glass boat with a manual jack plate on it. The transom rotted after years of service, but I think a lot of transoms rot due to holes drilled into them for mounting transducers and wires running down the back.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

9. Bob G's pool boy
    I had a CMC jackplate. Complete junk.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    If you gave the transom some 'love' you know what is back there.

The jack plate will add some stress. Questions to ask yourself: How long was it on there before? Is that what caused the transom issues?.... If so I wouldn't put it back on.

Had a '98 Fisher 21' glass boat with a manual jack plate on it. The transom rotted after years of service, but I think a lot of transoms rot due to holes drilled into them for mounting transducers and wires running down the back.
    The gussets are what typically breaks first. If the manufacturer didn't add beefed up gussets originally to account for the weight of the motor being cantilevered out there on a jackplate, you may end up with issues. I had an '87 Aries that had the gussets come loose, had to have them rebuilt and beefed up, I took the Hi-Jacker plate off after that.

11. Member
    Well the boat is a 1990 pro craft with two 3/4" plys so I think I might avoid the head ache and take it off before I remount the motor. Thanks guys