Any wood in 1996 model transoms?

I got a 1996 201 pro xl. I'm just wondering if this year model has a wood transom. I'm running a 10Inch jack plate with a 225 yamaha. I've been wondering if I may need to drop down to a 6 inch jack plate to reduce some of the stress on the transom. Any opinions?

They are not wood till possibly 98 and up. As far as jackplate size late 90's 201 Stratos recommends 6-8 inch.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Guess I need to order a 6 inch plate then. It's bothered me since I got the boat having that much weight hanging that far off the back of a what I was sure to be a wood transom

4. Member
    It should be a wood, wrapped in fiberglass transom. 1997 is the last year OMC had wood keels and transoms. 1998 is when they went to all composite. Hope that helps.

5. Member
    Have any of you guy's has install a Trolling Motor pan in your Boats .....has a late 80's 201 ...plan' s on adding one . Was wondering if i will get in the center box .

I put one in my 1999. I had plenty of room.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

7. Member
    I put one in my 98 201 and had room.

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Have any of you guy's has install a Trolling Motor pan in your Boats .....has a late 80's 201 ...plan' s on adding one . Was wondering if i will get in the center box .
    I did on my old 285, here's old post with pics. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....130&highlight=

9. Member
    Jason ...It has been a while since i ask this question .....has to go this time ,got a pan now . Thanks for the pic ...got any beer to get the cutting started . I believe i am going to have to cut the box also on this boat also . The older boats a narrow up front than the newer ones.

10. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    Two 20 Oz icehouse beers, and a good measurement, then cut. I cut my hole a tiny bit smaller to form a tight fit. Seal the cut decking before you install the well. I believe I used something that had 4200 in the name for a sealer

Be real sure where you want the well. Once the hole is cut, there's no turning back. Good luck.

11. Member
    Well got it cut .Cut more of the front storage box than i want to . As top off the box .But thats ok .
    Ran in to some bad wood at the bow cover , has dig out and going to fill with some thing ....like they do (transom ) ..
    My just cut some wood and coat with epoxy resin then seal it and call it a day ......Thanks every one .