Thread: loosing fish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    12-15 pound seaguar red label would be a good start...but you will notice the crank will dive deeper with fluoro. Moderate action tip will help alot more too than a fast tip especially with those small trebles. Treble size shouldn't matter much because you are hooking them...they are just tearing free. I use Mustad triple grips for what it's worth.

2. Member
    Make sure hooks are shrp. I lightly drag the hook point across my thumb nail and if its sharp it wants to dig in not just slide.
    With treble hooks I like some give in the rod and limited streach in the line. Like other post have said.
    How big of bass are we talkin about?
    To tight of drag can hurt, in the excitement it's easy to rip the hooks out with the small hooks.
    It' fun to watchum tail walk.
    playum

3. Member
    That's sq bill fishing. Alot of it is they just get skin hooked and just pull off a good parabolic cranking rod will minimize it but that's the name of the game. Reel into em and keep crankin
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

4. Member
    The Grammar Nazi is not pleased.
    Question everything!

5. Member
    A buddy of mine swears by removing the back treble off of topwaters and squarebills and replacing it with a #2 EWG hook. He says his hookups are better and the hook usually sets in the roof of the mouth as opposed to the lip. I haven't tried it yet but it kind of makes sense. Anybody ever tried it?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyW View Post
    A buddy of mine swears by removing the back treble off of topwaters and squarebills and replacing it with a #2 EWG hook. He says his hookups are better and the hook usually sets in the roof of the mouth as opposed to the lip. I haven't tried it yet but it kind of makes sense. Anybody ever tried it?
    I've been replacing trebles on my smaller cranks with single Cultiva hooks, I don't notice any negative difference. Hook up ratio has been great actually.
    Question everything!

7. Banned
    The hooks are usually the biggest problem right up there with too stiff and too short rods.. -Hooks.. go one size larger using the short shank KVD 2x trebles and/or Owner St-35 short shanks. I have changed ALL of mine..yes.... hundreds of hooks

8. Member
    Update: i changed Treble hooks to #4... Doesnt seem to get as many bites as i was with the #6 but it maybe just a mind thing...lol... I can tell you every fish i got bit i hooked and brought em in... So the #4 solved the problem... Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12