Trim gauge help please

I have 2005 200 optimax and while recovering my dash panel I put the ground wire to the ground and the I wire to the other post that just holds the gauge on. I didn't realize my issue and when I went to launch the boat the engine turned over and everything quit. Couldn't even raise the trim. After finding the fuse blown I found my issue. I bought a new gauge but after installing it correctly it still didn't work. So now I think it's the sender but when I look up my engine it gives me a digital part number but mine is analog. I do have the smart craft gauge but the trim part has never worked. Anybody know what sender I need or if the smart craft link gauge will work? My sn is
    859187A1
    Brett Treece. Caledonia MS
    2010 Skeeter ZX225. HPDI 225

2. Member
    You will have to decide what you want.

Analog trim, or Digital trim

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And incidentally, that's not your engine serial number. That's the part number for a Digital Trim Sender.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sorry you are correct. Sn is 1b054319. So do I just need the digital sender or something else? Thanks
    Last edited by rctreece; 03-22-2017 at 07:03 AM.

5. Member
    You need to decide on which gauge you are going to read the trim on.......Analog(stock gauge), or digital (Mercmonitor), and then buy the appropriate sender.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You need to decide on which gauge you are going to read the trim on.......Analog(stock gauge), or digital (Mercmonitor), and then buy the appropriate sender.

I just want it to work. I have a new gauge but don't understand why mercury says I need a digital sender

7. Member
    I looked up the digital sender and it is a rectangle so then I looked on my engine and it is round. Does anybody know the part number of the round sender?

8. Member
    Ok I'll try again........What GAUGE do you want to use for trim?

The gauge that came on the boat originally?

or the Mercmonitor gauge?

You can NOT use a digital and analog trim gauge together, YOU have to choose which gauge YOU want the trim to indicate on......We can't make that decision for you, YOU have to decide.

9. Member
    Ok I'll try again........What GAUGE do you want to use for trim?

The gauge that came on the boat originally?

or the Mercmonitor gauge?

You can NOT use a digital and analog trim gauge together, YOU have to choose which gauge YOU want the trim to indicate on......We can't make that decision for you, YOU have to decide.
    Analog

10. Member
    Then you must purchase the ANALOG trim SENDER.

11. Member
    Then you must purchase the ANALOG trim SENDER.
    Got it. Do you know what the part number is for that? I have only been able to locate the digital version

12. Member
    8m0098273 analog sender
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Thank you

14. Member
    I bought the 8m version but it is different then the one on my boat. My part number is 821180a5 but I am having trouble locating one. Anybody know where I can purchase this version

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's because it's been replaced with the 8M... version. Has an additional ground wire that you need to connect inside the cowling (otherwise it's identical).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor