Thread: 2017 z185

2017 z185

Hey guys, just wanted to post an update with my boat. I think I got it lined out good finally, I hit 61 last weekend by myself (370 lbs) with a full tank and full load of tackle. Had a little 5 mph tailwind but I'll take it! Loving this boat!!
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

2. Member
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

3. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    What prop are you running? Those are good numbers with a 370 lb. payload. My buddy, who is 300+ has been asking about this rig. He's afraid he's a bit big for an 18 footer. He'll be pleasantly surprised to hear your numbers.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

4. Member
    I'm looking to buy in the next 6 months and I'm very interested in the z185. How well does this boat ride/handle?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    What prop are you running? Those are good numbers with a 370 lb. payload. My buddy, who is 300+ has been asking about this rig. He's afraid he's a bit big for an 18 footer. He'll be pleasantly surprised to hear your numbers.
    I am running a stock raker HO 24 pitch. Engine is at about 3.25" below pad and I think I have some room to come up. These are also cold weather speeds. I think the key is the 150ho G2. I test drove one with a merc 4 stroke in 20 degree weather with no tackle and a full tank and only got to 58....There is no way he is too big for it. The boat is solid, doesn't lean much when people move around and it had TONS of room for a 18' 8" boat. If you guys were any where near me I would take you for a test drive!!
    Last edited by Siuebass0; 03-22-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB1 View Post
    I'm looking to buy in the next 6 months and I'm very interested in the z185. How well does this boat ride/handle?
    I love the boat so far. I came from a 1991 481V and it is night and day difference in ride and storage and pretty much everything else. The boat has a much softer ride to it than my old ranger. I loved my old boat but it just doesn't compare to this one. The 150 G2 is a beast and because of that I didn't lose hardly any speed vs my 481....
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siuebass0 View Post
    I am running a stock raker HO 24 pitch. Engine is at about 3.25" below pad and I think I have some room to come up. These are also cold weather speeds. I think the key is the 150ho G2. I test drove one with a merc 4 stroke in 20 degree weather with no tackle and a full tank and only got to 58....There is no way he is too big for it. The boat is solid, doesn't lean much when people move around and it had TONS of room for a 18' 8" boat. If you guys were any where near me I would take you for a test drive!!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

8. Member
    Wow just wow. Congrats on your set up. I've got the Mercury 4s and the best I have got is 58.
    JRB1 I would highly recommend the z185. Find a dealer that has Z package. It has the upgraded trolling motor and lighted compartments.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwjohnson247@gmail.com View Post
    Wow just wow. Congrats on your set up. I've got the Mercury 4s and the best I have got is 58.
    JRB1 I would highly recommend the z185. Find a dealer that has Z package. It has the upgraded trolling motor and lighted compartments.
    The first one I drove had the mercury 4s and I was impressed with it, I'm just one of those people that will run a two stroke until they tell me I can't do it anymore. I have moved on to trying tempest props now and I'm hoping maybe the Tempest Plus will give me a little more than the Raker. I second the z Package, I absolutely love my compartment lights and my Fortrex!
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

Impressive report by all accounts. Love to see pics.