ultrex heading sensor

I have a ranger z520 where,s the best place for the sensor? Front vs back of boat?

2. Member

3. Member
    Rod locker for me.

4. Member
    Whatever meets the installation requirements. As long as it pairs with the motor and free from magnetic interference.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    To be honest, almost any place I put mine on front deck, it had interference a bit. mostly it will come from the Trolling motor magnets in lower unit. it can go by dash or somewhere, wheres there no interference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    To be honest, almost any place I put mine on front deck, it had interference a bit. mostly it will come from the Trolling motor magnets in lower unit. it can go by dash or somewhere, wheres there no interference at all.
    Were you getting the interference with the motor stowed or deployed?
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    Install it on the front deck right under trolling motor bracket when it is stowed. Just left of foot pedal.

8. Member
    Been installed a while now. installed it right by foot pedal on left side. It had interference anywhere else.

9. Member
    Haven't installed mine yet. What am I looking for in interference?

10. Member
    turn on everything in the boat and use a regular compass to check where you want to mount the sensor. if the compass is steady you should be good to go
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    I mounted mine under the console with 3m permanent double-sided adhesive tape, but away from anything that carries a current when I expect to be using the motor jog feature. My Ranger 522 has a nice little flat fiberglass ledge on top of the raised foot pads under the console behind the hotfoot that worked great for me. (I didn't even know the ledge was there until I started looking for a place to mount the sensor.) Do confirm no magnetic field interference exists for you before final mounting. Bonus is that your wiring connection could not possible be any more convenient.