Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

wow,owner sues previous owner of boat

new owner says he has enough proof to show that the previous owner knew of inferior structural integrity problems with the boat he just purchased.dont know the whole story but supposedly the owner and passenger was hurt when the boat hit the bank at a high rate of speed.the transom was cracked and the engine was just hanging on.i guess he had no control of steering.the insurance company is saying the cause of the accident is "inferior structural integrity" problems.i guess the new owner is saying the previous owner new of the cracked transom and did not disclose it.looks like you better disclose everything you know and put it in writing before you sell your boat.i thought it was left up to the buyer to check the boat out before you buy but looks like things are changing especially if their is a lawyer that takes this case.whats you say
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

2. Banned
    Ok

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Lawyers have to eat too.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Seems like like a lot of "he said she said" stuff going on. Only person who will come out ahead is the lawyers. Too many variables, how long did the new owner own this boat?
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

Don't know the merits of this case, but I have always felt it was simply a matter of personal integrity to disclose any faults I know of when selling something and then if the buyer still wants it, specify buyer has been informed of and list the flaws, then specify as is no warranty in the bill of sale. May not be worth the paper it is written on, but it makes me feel better. I absolutely refuse to sell something that has a safety flaw though. I have an old truck that I was asked to sell, but the brakes need work. I won't sell it till I get the brakes repaired. Just me.

8. Member
    I would never sell anything without disclosing issues but I thought the standard rule was "Buyer beware"......

9. Banned
    I got nothing

10. Member
    Isn't the Ins. Co. still responsible for the coverage? The ins. Co. should sue the original owner to recoup their money. Otherwise why have Ins. if they can always find a way out. I know...I know...that's what they do.

Tough to prove...

12. Banned
    As is no warranty sale unless the new owner can prove otherwise it will get thrown out of court. Doesn't matter what the first owner knew or not the buyer bought it as is.

"As is"

14. Banned
    "As-is where-is" should be understood with any sale of a used boat or vehicle.

I have a hard time believing that there will be any further developments with this suit.

Where did this occur and is there a newspaper article or something somewhere that we can follow and see how this plays out?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    the insurance company is saying the cause of the accident is "inferior structural integrity" problems
    If they agreed to insure it, then they surely agreed that the boat was worthy of being insured prior to writing the policy, right?

I have yet to have an insurance company inspect my boat prior to insuring it, all I've ever had to do is provide pictures.

Guy wrecks boat and then says it was wrecked before he wrecked it and the insurance company agrees...sounds fishy to me

17. Member
    Tailgate warranty. When I can't see your tailgate when you leave its out of warranty.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Guy wrecks boat and then says it was wrecked before he wrecked it and the insurance company agrees...sounds fishy to me
    Sounds like guy wrecked the boat then insurance said the wreck is a result of a previous wreck and denied the claim. So instead of fighting the insurance company, he's going to try and fight the previous owner.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Don't know the merits of this case, but I have always felt it was simply a matter of personal integrity to disclose any faults I know of when selling something and then if the buyer still wants it, specify buyer has been informed of and list the flaws, then specify as is no warranty in the bill of sale. May not be worth the paper it is written on, but it makes me feel better. I absolutely refuse to sell something that has a safety flaw though. I have an old truck that I was asked to sell, but the brakes need work. I won't sell it till I get the brakes repaired. Just me.
    I agree.

Suing someone is one thing. Winning might be harder.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast