oil alarm problem

My 2004 Evinrude 150hp Direct injection mod E150plsr Serial 05064371 low oil alarm goes on and won't shut off.Alarm goes on soon as i turn the key even before it starts.I had it to a dealer in Me. They said i was getting oil to the engine and they think i have a short somewhere, but they where to busy to work on it at the time.I drove it the whole next day fishing had no problem except the alarm blasting in my ear all day,Any help would be deeply appreciated.
    Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

2004 Stratos 285 ProXL Evinrude 150

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Last edited by omcforever; 04-14-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Follow the wires up from the oil tank into the engine. Disconnect the two wire harness tan and black. See if alarm goes away. If it does and the dealer you took it to is a Certified BRP dealer then you can replace the sensor in the tank and and run the harness back to the motor along with the oil line. You'll need to reprime the oil side.

Thanks ChampioNman weather looks pretty nice out there this morning i'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

The cost of a new sensor and pickup assembly is not really worth it. Leave the wires diconnected and and check the oil level visually and at each fill-up
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    I have a similar problem with a 2006 E50DPLSDA serial #05150390… the 'no oil' and 'hot' lights go on, the alarm sounds….. the motor does not seem hot, and was not in safe mode- I was a couple miles offshore at the time this first happened- and shut down immediately- I have twin 50's so I headed back on the good motor… the motor would restart fine, but the lights and alarm continued….. the mechanic could find nothing wrong- the oil was full, no bubbles in the line, not overheating…. but even wrapped in a t-shirt, the alarm is more than irritating- I cannot yet verify if the motor would not go into safe mode under load- but it seems to run normally out of the water...

the connector from my oil tank is 5 wires….

I was told I needed a new EMM to solve this… doesn't seem right...

The dealer I purchased from is out of business… there is no replacement.. I deal with a distributor a couple hours flight away.. please don't disparage the mechanic- he's helped me in the past….

Quote Originally Posted by guammike View Post
    I have a similar problem with a 2006 E50DPLSDA serial #05150390… the 'no oil' and 'hot' lights go on, the alarm sounds….. the motor does not seem hot, and was not in safe mode- I was a couple miles offshore at the time this first happened- and shut down immediately- I have twin 50's so I headed back on the good motor… the motor would restart fine, but the lights and alarm continued….. the mechanic could find nothing wrong- the oil was full, no bubbles in the line, not overheating…. but even wrapped in a t-shirt, the alarm is more than irritating- I cannot yet verify if the motor would not go into safe mode under load- but it seems to run normally out of the water...

the connector from my oil tank is 5 wires….

I was told I needed a new EMM to solve this… doesn't seem right...

The dealer I purchased from is out of business… there is no replacement.. I deal with a distributor a couple hours flight away.. please don't disparage the mechanic- he's helped me in the past….

Please start a new thread about your motor as you are hijacking the original thread that was started by SPIN.

When you start your new thread, please elaborate on having 5 wires coming off your oil tank. There should only be 2 wires unless you have 2 more with an optional oil level gauge sender.

Thank you.

SH
    forum moderator
    -----

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Please start a new thread about your motor as you are hijacking the original thread that was started by SPIN.

When you start your new thread, please elaborate on having 5 wires coming off your oil tank. There should only be 2 wires unless you have 2 more with an optional oil level gauge sender.

Thank you.

SH
    forum moderator
    my apologies for the tangent…. I will start a separate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Follow the wires up from the oil tank into the engine. Disconnect the two wire harness tan and black. See if alarm goes away. If it does and the dealer you took it to is a Certified BRP dealer then you can replace the sensor in the tank and and run the harness back to the motor along with the oil line. You'll need to reprime the oil side.
    Ok I'm back sorry for delay ,Anyhow i disconnected the 2 wire harness tan & black and the alarm didn't go away.I just turned the key on did not start the engine since i have to thaw out my garden hose yet and the rain is not helping. If i need to start the engine i'll have to pour some hot water on the hose been out all winter.
    Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA

Turn the key to ON and disconnect one tan wire at a time to see if the horn quits - both temp switches, the vacuum switch, and the VRO plug. If it still sounds, look at the horn, see if it has a separate ground wire attached besides the tan and the purple - disconnect it to see if the horn stops. If so, then the horn circuitry is faulty.
    -----

Finally found the problem took it to a local marine dealer .diagnostics on engine no oil pressure faults The tach was given false oil pressure.faulty tach.
    Thank you Seahorse & ChampioNman your help was appreciated.
    Al Spinozzi
    Nazareth, PA