Thumbs Up Jeep liberty question

Hey guys,

I've been looking around for a smaller vehicle recently something i can also tow my boat with. My boats roughly 1500-1700lbs depending on how much gear i decide to lug. Its 18ft and the trailer does not have brakes.

Ive been looking at s10s and sonomas, i really like these trucks, jeep cherokees, ford rangers and trying to find out if a liberty is feasible. I know certain models of the liberty have ample towing power up to 5klbs. However my concern is with regards to trailer sway and stability considering the wheel base of the jeep. These jeeps are really easy to find around me in good condition.

Can anyone shed some advice on the liberty? Thanks
    keep your lines wet! God bless

2. Member
    Biggest question would be pulling distance. Across town and no freeways yeah it would manage. But I wouldn't get on a highway with a liberty. I sold a 17 ft pro craft once and the guy pulled in to pick it up in a liberty. I was hesitant to even let him leave but he called me once he was home and said no issues. Is it a tin boat since you mentioned 18 ft and only 1500lbs?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    Biggest question would be pulling distance. Across town and no freeways yeah it would manage. But I wouldn't get on a highway with a liberty. I sold a 17 ft pro craft once and the guy pulled in to pick it up in a liberty. I was hesitant to even let him leave but he called me once he was home and said no issues. Is it a tin boat since you mentioned 18 ft and only 1500lbs?
    Ive read up on forums of guys pulling campers n such with the liberty. Its a fiberglass boat,
    a 1990 starcraft stalker 1800. Boat on its own weights 1060 roughly 1410 with motor. 1700 max is a bit low tbh. I do run 3 deep cycles and a starting battery. If im loaded up with gas and all my gear probably say around 2000
    Last edited by Ashton.r; 03-21-2017 at 05:13 PM.

4. Member
    You'll probably be safe but you'll want to be extra careful of swerving, turning, etc. Just a little extra caution goes a long way

I think it will pull your boat. But without trailer brakes, I'd be seriously concerned about stopping power, especially in a panic situation.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I think it will pull your boat. But without trailer brakes, I'd be seriously concerned about stopping power, especially in a panic situation.
    this is my biggest concern, i do have plans to put electronic brake setup for this purpose. i know the jeeps weight is a rough 4100lbs which is adequate i would think but the idea of an emergency stop on a smaller wheel base makes be concerned as well. thanks for your input

7. Member
    Just a little story about towing without trailer brakes.
    I have a Nitro 640LX with a 1.5L Optimax that I used to tow with a 1988 ex cab S-10 4X4 with steel shell.
    3 times I had to make a panic stop and all 3 times I slid unstoppable for 20-30 feet with the boat pushing me. Probably 2000lb also - the short weelbase of the Liberty would scare the hell out of me.
    Solution? I bought a 2010 F150XLT 4X4 short bed with tow package and the 5.4 3V.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plki View Post
    Just a little story about towing without trailer brakes.
    I have a Nitro 640LX with a 1.5L Optimax that I used to tow with a 1988 ex cab S-10 4X4 with steel shell.
    3 times I had to make a panic stop and all 3 times I slid unstoppable for 20-30 feet with the boat pushing me. Probably 2000lb also - the short weelbase of the Liberty would scare the hell out of me.
    Solution? I bought a 2010 F150XLT 4X4 short bed with tow package and the 5.4 3V.
    damn that actually worries me! my brother has a 640lx and i know it weights about the same. if it pushed you around in an s-10 then sh*t maybe a liberty aint that smart

9. Member
    I tow my Triton 18XS with my Ford Escape. My Triton is a heavy 18'8" boat and my Escape tows it fine. Admittedly, I tow my boat 200 miles in the spring taking it to camp and return it home in the fall. Most of my towing are short runs to the ramp.

I looked at the Liberty too, but went with the Escape. I liked the Escape's mpg a lot.

My trailer has brakes so I thought both SUV's could tow and brake safely.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    I tow my Triton 18XS with my Ford Escape. My Triton is a heavy 18'8" boat and my Escape tows it fine. Admittedly, I tow my boat 200 miles in the spring taking it to camp and return it home in the fall. Most of my towing are short runs to the ramp.

I looked at the Liberty too, but went with the Escape. I liked the Escape's mpg a lot.

My trailer has brakes so I thought both SUV's could tow and brake safely.
    Glad you mentioned the escape. do you like it? i was maybe considering them too but i dont know much about em, do they give much problems at all?

i see you like to toss a fly for steelhead

11. Member
    I have a 2013 Escape Titanium and we love it. We had older Escapes as well and the newer Escapes are superior in my opinion. To date, oil changes and tire rotations is all I have done.

I do fish steelhead a lot. Our place on Chautauqua is 20 minutes away from Erie tributaries. So I pound the tribs in spring and the fall. Big thrill catching big fish in flowing water on flies you have tied. Catching big smallmouth is a thrill but hooking a 10# Steelie in a stream is even better.

I definately would look at both Liberty's and Escape's.I believe they both had the same 3,500 # towing capacity. I did order the towing package on my Escape.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

If it is rated to pull 5000 lbs then I would feel fine doing it. Yeah, I would be careful and watch far ahead to avoid panic stops but I did that pulling a tracker with my 1500 Sierra. While some might try to tell their wives differently, you don't need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a jon boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    I have a 2013 Escape Titanium and we love it. We had older Escapes as well and the newer Escapes are superior in my opinion. To date, oil changes and tire rotations is all I have done.

I do fish steelhead a lot. Our place on Chautauqua is 20 minutes away from Erie tributaries. So I pound the tribs in spring and the fall. Big thrill catching big fish in flowing water on flies you have tied. Catching big smallmouth is a thrill but hooking a 10# Steelie in a stream is even better.

I definately would look at both Liberty's and Escape's.I believe they both had the same 3,500 # towing capacity. I did order the towing package on my Escape.

i would be looking at the older escapes unfortunately XD steelies on a fly is absolutely a blast! i fish alot of o tribs.
    if im looking at the liberty im looking at the ones with 5k towing capacity.

14. Member
    looking at the wheel base and track of the liberty vs the ranger, the ranger does have a longer base by roughly 2ft but the track is smaller. i think the deciding factor might be whether or not i get brakes on the trailer. I am a super cautious driver when trailing even when i used my dads ram 1500 i still am very cautious i rather always be safe and give my self room because at the end of the day regardless if the vehicles way more than capable, i still want to make sure my boat and myself will be safe.

15. Member
    I towed my 18.5 stratos for a while with my jeep cherokee. Pretty much playing roulette. Quick stops it will push you but what did for me was being dragged backwards down a steep boat ramp. Bought a used durango after that
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

16. Member
    Don't buy the Jeep. They are money pits. The wife has a Wrangler and I have a Grand Cherokee. BOTH vehicles are pieces of crap. I will NEVER by another Chrysler product, but hey its your money
    I'd agree with you , but then we would both be wrong