Thread: Flipped breaker

Flipped breaker

I was fishing and my MG digital tour 80 flipped my TM breaker a few times. Does anyone know why it would do that?

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    Where you going full power for an extended period of time?
    2004 Triton TR-186DC - Mercury 175 Optimax

Not really. Seem like I was on a low speed when it happened

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What size is the breaker?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

It's a 50 amp

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    What kind of breaker is it? I've seen the cheap ones that are no larger than a one inch square with the tiny red button on the side and 2 small posts for the wire and they're rated at 50 amps go bad with the insides full of corrosion.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    What kind of breaker is it? I've seen the cheap ones that are no larger than a one inch square with the tiny red button on the side and 2 small posts for the wire and they're rated at 50 amps go bad with the insides full of corrosion.

8. Member
    hmmm...those are the good ones. No idea. Maybe test with an amp meter sometime on the water with someone along to hold the leads of the meter in between the 2 hot leads coming before the breaker. right at the battery.

ASk someone who know DC voltage and testing over me. I ask my friend who is an electrician and he helps me troubleshoot stuff.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Has this setup worked long-term before this problem? Don't know for sure about MG, but MK recommends a 60A breaker for their 80lb motor. The Xi5 80lb motor draws 56A max, so a 50A breaker will be a problem.

Breakers do go bad.

Might be worthwhile to pull the prop on the TM to check for line. That can bog the motor down and increase current draw.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Has this setup worked long-term before this problem? Don't know for sure about MG, but MK recommends a 60A breaker for their 80lb motor. The Xi5 80lb motor draws 56A max, so a 50A breaker will be a problem.

Breakers do go bad.

Might be worthwhile to pull the prop on the TM to check for line. That can bog the motor down and increase current draw.
    Thats what I did. There is no line. Yes it's been working. Fine. Iv had the breaker flip when iv been stuck in mind but it ween to be getting worse. Maybe the breaker is going out

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Thats what I did. There is no line. Yes it's been working. Fine. Iv had the breaker flip when iv been stuck in mind but it ween to be getting worse. Maybe the breaker is going out
    I think if it was my boat I'd get the 60A version of that breaker and see how it goes. Best part of this advice is that I'm not out any money if it doesn't work!
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Have you looked at the connections in the plug?
    Champion 206
    250XB

13. Member
    Before you go to a higher rated CB, find the rating for your TM. The last thing you need is a fire because you over rated the breaker and defeated the safety guidelines of the wire. The breaker is for wire protection. First off, make sure the connection is solid. Once bolts loosen the heat and amperage increase which can then cause a CB to trip. Then check the wiring. How long has it been in the boat? High amperage/heat will degrade the insulation.

Because they're in a moisture environment, there's a chance the breaker is bad. But if you've been using 50 amps w/o a problem don't go higher. And depending how old the TM is, the TM motor might be going bad.

Jones Trolling Motors might help to isolate the problem.

14. Member
    again, measuring the amp draw is huge in determining what is going on here. If it's not drawing an alarming amount of amps then I'd look at the breaker going bad.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P