Thread: Indexing plugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Indexing plugs

E90DPLISD
    I'm replacing my plugs. Last year I bought 4 plugs and three worked. This year I can't index any of them at 15# or 22#. ???

Is there another trick. All of them are 180° off?

Champion qc10wep
    Bought from Evinrude

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Send them back if they can't be indexed. Find it hard to believe that one out of 4 plugs can't be indexed. I always have two extra depending on the motor.

3. Banned
    I already greased the base. I guess I'll try to return them. Last year I bought them from Napa. It's crazy I tried every plug in all three cylinders.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May as well have the dealer do your plugs while you are getting your LU fixed.

One quick check to see if a brand new (never torqued) plug will index correctly is to thread it in fully with your fingers. If the index mark is about 1/2 turn from where it should be located, then the plug will work fine when you torque it 15-22 ft. lb

You can check plugs very quickly that way.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    May as well have the dealer do your plugs while you are getting your LU fixed.
    good point

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    One quick check to see if a brand new (never torqued) plug will index correctly is to thread it in fully with your fingers. If the index mark is about 1/2 turn from where it should be located, then the plug will work fine when you torque it 15-22 ft. lb

You can check plugs very quickly that way.
    I will do it this way in the future, before gapping and greasing the base.

8. Banned
    Doing a little reading online I came up with this.

Indexing washers for plugs. Is it something I could use to get my plugs to index correctly.? Or is it just asking for problems.?

summitracing.com/search/part-type/spark-plug-indexing-washers
    Last edited by mrc.in.wi; 03-23-2017 at 02:58 PM.

9. Banned
    ://summitracing.com/search/part-type/spark-plug-indexing-washers

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't use the washers, got to ask did you follow this process? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=322878

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Don't use the washers, got to ask did you follow this process? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=322878
    Yes

The repair/maintenance manual for my model says you can go up to 30 lbs torque. It still won't get them indexed and that seemed like overkill for a plug.

I put the old plugs back in for now till I can go get some locally. Maybe he'll trade me at a discount.

12. Banned
    Bought a new set of plugs all 3 at 15 ft lbs, perfectly indexed.
    How hard was that?

plugs.jpg

Also: posted in Swap and Sell Forum
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....47#post8290547

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Bought a new set of plugs all 3 at 15 ft lbs, perfectly indexed.
    How hard was that?

Also: posted in Swap and Sell Forum
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....47#post8290547
    Too much drama!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Too much drama!
    OK ? Just thought initially there may be a trick to help them index. I just found it strange that one box of plugs are 180° off, and another box is perfect. Guess that's drama?
    Anyways thanks for the help. I did try them by hand first as Seahorse suggested. That way they stay clean and if it happens again I can return them.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    OK ? Just thought initially there may be a trick to help them index. I just found it strange that one box of plugs are 180° off, and another box is perfect. Guess that's drama?
    Anyways thanks for the help. I did try them by hand first as Seahorse suggested. That way they stay clean and if it happens again I can return them.
    Just busting your chops, man. In all seriousness, I agree that you are definitely snake bit to get 100% plugs that won't index in a batch. In my V6 engines, it's taken me just 13 plugs to get satisfactory indexing in the last two plug changes. That's one non-indexing plug out of 13. My luck is about to run out, though, now that I've bragged about it.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I usually buy 8 and can get them within range and still have 2 left over... sometimes one won't index no matter what....

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I usually buy 8 and can get them within range and still have 2 left over... sometimes one won't index no matter what....
    I'm only going to buy them locally from now on. After thinking about it, I ordered them from boats.net. They will pick from dealers stock around the country. I just wonder if I got a box of "one plug that just won't index"?

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Distinct possibility but highly unlikely....

19. Member
    I ordered 8 plugs from my dealer, got them in and 4 of them were already torqued, someone had already tried them and they didn't work, (i figured this out because of the grease ring on the seal ring and the line going up the insulator) guess what, I had 8, only 3 freakin worked. i will be calling the dealer and bitching them out tomorrow. This is Bull Shit that you spend 17 bucks a plug and they will not work. Not to mention the dealer sending them already torqued. NOT HAPPY> sorry for the rant but this is crap!

It's not the plugs fault or the engine's fault.

The plugs are built on an automated production line where the threads could start anywhere in the circumference. There is no way to tell if one will work or not on that particular cylinder unless you either torque it in or hand tighten per my tip in an earlier post.

The E-TEC heads have the sparkplug threads indexed to start in the same location on the same head, so if a plug fits #1 cylinder correctly it will also be in the same position for cylinders #3 and #5, same thing for the other head.

The G2 E-TEC has the spark plugs built with the threads starting in the same exact place and the heads have the same thing - that way every plug indexes automatically and you just torque it down. The part number ends with the letter " i " and they are a bit more expensive.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast