Getting Back ito Salt Water Fishing

I'm getting back into salt water fishing after 30 years. I have been surf fishing and chartered some trips for redfish over the last couple of years. I decided to go all in. I sold my bass boat and bought a 2013 Key West 210 Bay Reef. The only problem now is I need to pick up some more/different gear. I'm not sure if any of my fresh water rods and reels will handle the salt water. I'll probably stay inshore or just off of the beach for a while and was hoping I could get some advice on some decent inshore redfish/trout/flounder rods as well as a couple of boat rods. I appreciate any help and advice.
    Last edited by jwb15043; 03-21-2017 at 02:21 PM.

For the money the Penn Battle II combos are hard to beat. 2000-3000 series for trout, drum and flounder. Academy Sports has them on sale 25% off right now.
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

3. Member
    If you can afford it, a Shimano Stella SW will last you forever and comes in many sizes. It's also the smoothest reel you will ever use, but they start around $800 each.

4. Member
    I might take a run over to Academy and see if they have any of the Penn's. Thanks

As long as you are not using magnesium reels (steez, fuego etc) what you have now should work perfectly for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    If you can afford it, a Shimano Stella SW will last you forever and comes in many sizes. It's also the smoothest reel you will ever use, but they start around $800 each.
    I'll second the Shimano Stella but I'm too clumsy and too cheap to pay what they cost. You might consider a Shimano Stradic as an alternative. I'm a week day sea trout, red fish and flounder fisherman and on week ends it's bass fishing. I've been using Stradics for years without any issues at all and most of my fishing friends also use them. I prefer the 2500 FK series and they sell for around $180. but there are many models and sizes to chose from. Now for a recommendation you probably won't believe because it's priced so low: Check out a KastKing Sharky II. Most die hard Shimano fans that haven't tried one will tell you they have to be junk but I'll try anything once and bought one It's unbelievably smooth, looks great, has more bearings, and actually casts better than my Stradics. I bought a second one and now my Stradics are the back up rigs. The Sharky II sells for $53.!!!
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the Sharky II!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPro Admin View Post
    I'll second the Shimano Stella but I'm too clumsy and too cheap to pay what they cost. You might consider a Shimano Stradic as an alternative. I'm a week day sea trout, red fish and flounder fisherman and on week ends it's bass fishing. I've been using Stradics for years without any issues at all and most of my fishing friends also use them. I prefer the 2500 FK series and they sell for around $180. but there are many models and sizes to chose from. Now for a recommendation you probably won't believe because it's priced so low: Check out a KastKing Sharky II. Most die hard Shimano fans that haven't tried one will tell you they have to be junk but I'll try anything once and bought one It's unbelievably smooth, looks great, has more bearings, and actually casts better than my Stradics. I bought a second one and now my Stradics are the back up rigs. The Sharky II sells for $53.!!!
    What series Sharky II di you buy? I was looking at the 3000 series but I don't know if it holds enough line.