Thread: Battery issue

Battery issue

Ser# 1B480225
    Seems like my motor is draining my battery. I had my battery starting battery fully charged and after fishing for a few hours my battery was dead and I'm getting an alarm on my boat for a week battery. I have been running live wells and graphs two period I can recharge the battery and go out again and it seems to drain again. When I have the motor and idle I can watch the voltmeter on my HDs 9 and see that it's drawing down at idle. I have already been to the shop once and they said it was a low battery alarm. I bought a new battery and it's still doing it where to start

Deka marine master
    Mca1050
    Cca 840
    182 rc

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You need a way to measure actual battery voltage at the terminals. The HDS is on a long wire and there is drop there so the reading can't be used for evaluating charging system performance.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Your battery just does meet the requirements for the motor alone, if you are running livewells and other electronics you should consider a larger battery.

Check this link:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....batteries+meet

Thats not the problem. Everything has worked fine for a year.

6. Member
    I would check for a draw on the system, and make sure that the alternator is charging the battery.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you leave the boat sit in your driveway, overnight, with everything OFF, will it start in the morning?

I agree... that battery just barely exceeded the ENGINE requirements when new.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I keep a charger on it. Do you want me to unplug it and try? Thurday I unplugged it and went to the camp. I put it in the water the next day and it started but after fishing a few hour's I started getting the alarm when started.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I suspect it is not the engine draining the battery... but rather the "gizmos" that are running while you're fishing, OR the alternator is not charging properly.

Check voltage at the battery, with the engine RUNNING, 5 minutes after starting.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor