Thread: new lake to try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new lake to try

Like to try a new lake, preferably in KY, I live in Cincinnati and noticed Corinth and Bullock Pen on the map, along with Boltz and Williamstown. I typically fish Brookville in Indiana, Whitewater lake above B'ville, OH river, and Cumberland. This time of year, where would you go to of these 4 lakes?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Member
    Give laurel lake a try it has great small and large mouth. There using a-rigs and swim baits and catching some good ones.

3. Member
    Kincaid lake in Falmouth ky would be my 1st choice someone always catches a 8lb or bigger fish out of there in the spring.
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

Also interested in new places, any opinions on Guist Creek, Taylorsville or Lake Malone? Thanks!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdadking View Post
    Also interested in new places, any opinions on Guist Creek, Taylorsville or Lake Malone? Thanks!
    Guist Creek can be very, very tough. However, every spring there's always a handful of really big fish caught from it (8+). I don't recommend this a new lake to figure out. It's very small and wouldn't be worth the trip coming from out of town. Just my opinion.

Taylorsville is a fun lake. Lots of people struggle but I've always done well. The fish are shaped like footballs and are very healthy year around. It's got a lot of standing timber up the lake and fish can be caught on the typical table fare of baits. It's an awesome topwater lake in the summer. Taylorsville gets a tremendous amount of pressure every day with an average of two tourneys per weekend day and three scheduled during the week (M,T,F) from April-August. Also, being so close to Louisville it gets very busy with wakeboarders and tubers in the summer. Go early and leave early in the summer. Don't expect a big bag of fish and 4+ lb fish are rare for the average joe and even prove to be inconsistent catches for those that are in the know. You'll catch fish year around though and will stay busy if you throw a t-rigged plastic and throw a mid crank. Best choice out of the three you listed.

Lake Malone.... let them drain it. I know people that love it and do well on it. Me not so much. It's a zero or hero type of lake. Here today, gone the next. Fish move a lot and fishing is tough with the exception of early/mid spring when fish are close to the banks and around the grass and shallow cover.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Lake malone.. I would feel awful for you if you drove more than 15 mins to fish lake malone. I haven't had a respectable bag from it. The place is dangerous on a sunny weekend. Pontoons for days, jet skiers will run up against you. Acutally had a 2 bass boats crash late last year. One weekend it took me 2.5 hours to load my boat up here. I would rather fish out of my bathtub than lake malone

7. Member
    I fish the Tuesday night tourney at taylorsville, lots of fish early, then with all the pressure and recreation boats it gets tough mi summer, but turns on again in the fall. It's a fun lake and it has cabins on the lake for weekend trips. No docks, it's all government property so no homes and no docks. But lots of standing timber, be careful first time out, don't fly back in the coves!!

Thanks guys, just saw them on the map and was curious. I enjoy coming down and fishing Rough, Nolin, Barren and have been to Green River a couple times.

9. Member
    bullock pen sunday buddy tournament 8 to 4come on down

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Like to try a new lake, preferably in KY, I live in Cincinnati and noticed Corinth and Bullock Pen on the map, along with Boltz and Williamstown. I typically fish Brookville in Indiana, Whitewater lake above B'ville, OH river, and Cumberland. This time of year, where would you go to of these 4 lakes?

Thanks,

Mike
    i have fished all 4. Corinth would be my last choice. Williamstown would be my first choice. Early in the year. Can get busy with pleasure boats. Boltz and Bullock Pen are Idle only.
    Good luck
    BB1

11. Member
    Made my first ever trip to Bullock Pen a few weekends ago, got my butt handed to me, but God save me I like the looks of that lake. We had 1 LM on jerkbait, nothing else the rest of the day. Others there told me jig is king there, I never got bit on it. The weeds/scum might make for frog fishing...gonna head back down in May sometime. Thanks for all the responses, Mike

May look into going to Lake Beshear. A lot of big bass in that lake, I wouldn't waste my time on Malone.

Why all the Malone hate? I just don't get it... Yes it's tough at times but every lake is tough at times
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SKY ChamPion View Post
    May look into going to Lake Beshear. A lot of big bass in that lake, I wouldn't waste my time on Malone.

The man knows of which he speaks !

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post

Thanks,

Mike
    Used to like Bullock Pen. Williamstown too busy on weekends. Only been to Corinth once. Kincaid and Elmer Davis would be my choices. Potential for a 7 lber at either one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    Why all the Malone hate? I just don't get it... Yes it's tough at times but every lake is tough at times
    If I wanted to go to a lake that's under a 2hr drive personally for me Malone would be the last place I would stop. There are a lot better fisheries such as Barren, Cumberland, Dale hollow, Ky, Barkley, Beshear. There are some good bass in it, but it's not as good of a fishery as some of the other lakes mentioned. I have heard Spa lake is fishing very well right now. I've seen a lot of pics of bass caught over the 6lb mark from guys I know.

17. Member
    How is Malone doing right now? Been wanting to get down there but haven't had the chance. Are they close to spawning? I have been around spawners up here this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by M4A1 View Post
    How is Malone doing right now? Been wanting to get down there but haven't had the chance. Are they close to spawning? I have been around spawners up here this weekend
    I fished it Saturday, not sure if they were on the beds or not as the water was stained but I caught all my fish shallow. Water temp started at 68 in the morning and ended up just under 72 when I left around 3 o'clock.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

I fished T-vile yesterday (Monday) and was talking to some guys who were fishing a Monday 7am-11am tournament. Do you have any info about this tournament?
    Which ramp, entry fee, payback ......
    TIA
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Paul3krl@gmail.com View Post
    I fish the Tuesday night tourney at taylorsville, lots of fish early, then with all the pressure and recreation boats it gets tough mi summer, but turns on again in the fall. It's a fun lake and it has cabins on the lake for weekend trips. No docks, it's all government property so no homes and no docks. But lots of standing timber, be careful first time out, don't fly back in the coves!!
    I fished T-vile yesterday (Monday) and was talking to some guys who were fishing a Monday 7am-11am tournament. Do you have any info about this tournament?
    Which ramp, entry fee, payback ......
    TIA
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast