Ultrex on Nitro Z8 Question

Anyone got an Ultrex 52 inch mounted on a Nitro Z8. I have a Xi5 48 inch which is great except for the wireless foot pedal. I was thinking of getting an Ultrex 52 inch which is only 4 inches longer. The Ultrex's wired foot pedal with the anchor button would satisfy 90% of my trolling motor needs. I was wondering if the head of the 52 inch Ultrex would stick very far outside port gunwale of a Z8. My Xi5 sticks out maybe half an inch.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

2. Member
    Not the right view for you but believe it may be about the same. Don't have my boat here right now but can check in next couple of days. I switched from the fortrex and really didn't notice any difference except with the controller. If you have the Dowco cover, might be a little tight. I use a cheaper cover that fits a slightly larger boat so no problems.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    Thanks ezfishn. Looks good. I will do what you did with the foot pedal. I hope the cable fits under my Dek It mount OK. Did you hardwire your foot pedal electric wire or did you have room to plug it into the bow plate socket?
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.

4. Member
    It is hardwired. The wires are routed under bottom edge of bow panel. Here's a couple of different views if it can help. I'm using a RAM mount up front so not a problem with clearance.

Side View

Front Edge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

I have a 52" Ultrex on my '06 Nitro 591...very similar to the later Z-8. If I adjust the motor all the way down the head does not extend any more than my 42" Maxxum...just a few inches. The 52" motor is for sure bigger and I'm still getting used to the bigger size.

As many others have reported, the pedal is too large to fit some of the footwells. I solved this problem (at least temporarily) by fabricating a little foot pedal deck. It was all too crowded around the bow panel so I mounted the pedal a few inches further back. I will probably change the footwell to a bigger, deeper one at some later date.

Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Looks very good SoonerFan! I got my 52 inch Ultrex mounted and it's huge compared to my Xi5, but it is not as big as I thought. I still sometimes use my 42 inch Maxxum on my quick release mount because it has an LSS2 transducer mounted on it. Your right about the 52 inch Ultrex being about the same length as the 42 inch Maxxum when its stowed with the head unit all the way down. Took the Ultrex out on the water and calibrated the heading sensor and played with it awhile yesterday. Very cool trolling motor. I'm working on resolving some issues regarding the foot pedal not fitting in the back of the foot pedal tray and toe end of the foot pedal rubbing against my Dek It mount when I move it forward to where it fits in the tray like ezfishn shows above. If all else fails I will follow your lead and put a plate over the foot pedal tray. I sure wish Nitro had made the foot pedal tray on Z8's and Z9's in a simple rectangular shape instead of the curved shape. That would have been perfect.
    Last edited by texasfisher; 03-29-2017 at 08:59 PM.

7. Member
    I have an 882, but following. Installed the 52 ultrex and it is big. footpedal fit is not even close, so I need a plate as shown, or cut the deck and intall an aftermarket footwell.
    comfort troll, eztroll, or troll well - not sure which one yet.

thoughts?
    Jack

2005 Ranger 520 DX
    2005 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS
    Mercury Trophy 24
    Mk Ultrex 110 Ipilot link
    Powerpole 8'
    Hb helix 9 di S/N
    Hb helix 10 si. S/N
    Garmin 10 UHD W/ Panoptix

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjack2 View Post
    I have an 882, but following. Installed the 52 ultrex and it is big. footpedal fit is not even close, so I need a plate as shown, or cut the deck and intall an aftermarket footwell.
    comfort troll, eztroll, or troll well - not sure which one yet.

thoughts?
    I cut and installed a well on my 896, because it didn't come with one. Check underneath, measure 20 times and cut once... it went pretty easy.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by texasfisher View Post
    Looks very good SoonerFan! I got my 52 inch Ultrex mounted and it's huge compared to my Xi5, but it is not as big as I thought. I still sometimes use my 42 inch Maxxum on my quick release mount because it has an LSS2 transducer mounted on it. Your right about the 52 inch Ultrex being about the same length as the 42 inch Maxxum when its stowed with the head unit all the way down. Took the Ultrex out on the water and calibrated the heading sensor and played with it awhile yesterday. Very cool trolling motor. I'm working on resolving some issues regarding the foot pedal not fitting in the back of the foot pedal tray and toe end of the foot pedal rubbing against my Dek It mount when I move it forward to where it fits in the tray like ezfishn shows above. If all else fails I will follow your lead and put a plate over the foot pedal tray. I sure wish Nitro had made the foot pedal tray on Z8's and Z9's in a simple rectangular shape instead of the curved shape. That would have been perfect.
    There's one fella on these boards (I don't remember which one, I've read a million Ultrex threads ) that simply peeled back the carpet and cut out ¾" of the fiberglass from each side. Folded back the carpet to cover the holes. I might try that before I cut an even bigger hole. I'd really like to move everything, pedal well and seat post, back about 6".

I also need need to shorten the pull cable but I'm really not looking forward to pulling that motor off the mount.

The motor comes down pretty hard when it's stowed and that support hits the deck like a punch press. Any rod, reel or big toe that finds itself under it would surely be damaged. To help me keep my attention to the trouble spot, I put a piece of white gaffer's tape in the spot where the support hits.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    There's one fella on these boards (I don't remember which one, I've read a million Ultrex threads ) that simply peeled back the carpet and cut out ¾" of the fiberglass from each side. Folded back the carpet to cover the holes. I might try that before I cut an even bigger hole. I'd really like to move everything, pedal well and seat post, back about 6".

I also need need to shorten the pull cable but I'm really not looking forward to pulling that motor off the mount.

The motor comes down pretty hard when it's stowed and that support hits the deck like a punch press. Any rod, reel or big toe that finds itself under it would surely be damaged. To help me keep my attention to the trouble spot, I put a piece of white gaffer's tape in the spot where the support hits.
    SoonerFan I shortened my cable without having to pull the motor off. If you raise the motor to where it is about 90 degree angle it will rest on top of the mounting bracket. In this position it is very easy to see into and reach inside the aluminum rail and pull out the cable with the aluminum cable lock on it. Just pull the cable lock out the side of the aluminum rail and loosen the two allen head nuts on the cable lock. Then pull as much cable as you want to cut off through the cable lock and cut it with a hack saw. Then retighten the allen head nuts on the cable lock and put the cable and cable lock back up into the position it was in before you pulled it out. Very simple 5-10 minute job. The hardest thing is cutting the cable with the hack saw.

Quote Originally Posted by texasfisher View Post
    SoonerFan I shortened my cable without having to pull the motor off. If you raise the motor to where it is about 90 degree angle it will rest on top of the mounting bracket. In this position it is very easy to see into and reach inside the aluminum rail and pull out the cable with the aluminum cable lock on it. Just pull the cable lock out the side of the aluminum rail and loosen the two allen head nuts on the cable lock. Then pull as much cable as you want to cut off through the cable lock and cut it with a hack saw. Then retighten the allen head nuts on the cable lock and put the cable and cable lock back up into the position it was in before you pulled it out. Very simple 5-10 minute job. The hardest thing is cutting the cable with the hack saw.
    Good to know!
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    Nice job. How is the feel with the pedal not being recessed?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have a 52" Ultrex on my '06 Nitro 591...very similar to the later Z-8. If I adjust the motor all the way down the head does not extend any more than my 42" Maxxum...just a few inches. The 52" motor is for sure bigger and I'm still getting used to the bigger size.

As many others have reported, the pedal is too large to fit some of the footwells. I solved this problem (at least temporarily) by fabricating a little foot pedal deck. It was all too crowded around the bow panel so I mounted the pedal a few inches further back. I will probably change the footwell to a bigger, deeper one at some later date.

Nice job. How does the pedal feel with it not being recessed?

14. Member
    What made y'all go with the 52 over the 45?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonvantran View Post
    Nice job. How is the feel with the pedal not being recessed?

Quite frankly it's in the way. Not only is it sitting taller, which doesn't bother me as much because it is extremely easy to steer, but I also moved it back a few inches. This makes it crowded around the seat pedestal. I plan on installing a recessed tray sometime this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by agdave112 View Post
    Because Tackle Warehouse had the 52 in stock and the 45 was backordered into the future.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agdave112 View Post
    Previously had 52in Fortrex and liked the extra length in rough water.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

17. Member
    EZFISN did the pedal fit in the recess of ur z8 r did u have to modify it. I have a 12 z8 with 101 fourtrex but want a new ultrex

18. Member
    My ultrex has sat in a box for 2 weeks while I contemplate how I want to attack this problem on my 14 z8. I'm close to getting a new boat but in the meantime I want to use this badass trolling motor. I might try to file down the fiberglass and reglue the carpet as I really want it flush

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sblnchrd View Post
    EZFISN did the pedal fit in the recess of ur z8 r did u have to modify it. I have a 12 z8 with 101 fourtrex but want a new ultrex
    The Ultrex pedal doesn't fit unless you slide it forward and tilt the front end of the pedal up. I didn't want to put another tray in so just used a piece of marine 2x4 carpeted and raised the front end as shown in post#4 above.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818