Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

99 Stratos 285 Pro Elite- Evinrude etec 150HO E150HGLABG-6" manual JP - prop selectio

Hey Guys,

My boat and motor are listed in the title. Currently at WOT and nearly full trim, I can only push 59-60 GPS. RPMs are right around 5600-5700 and water pressure in high teens. My prop is an original older Raker I believe 22 pitch. Anyways I wanted to see what suggestions y'all may have on increasing the speed of this boat. I obviously first and foremost want to be mindful of water pressure and RPMs but I think I've got plenty RPMs to play with to push this boat at least 5mph quicker. The tech recommended trying a new raker 2 with a 24 pitch for starters and possibly raising the jack plate a 1/2". This motor was manuf in march of 2016 so I am really hoping to get the top performance out of it. Any suggestions or prop selection and water pressure would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    I have a 97 285 PE with a 2013 175 pro xs. Kinda the same with an old boat, new motor combo. I have tested a few props and my absolute favorite is a 24 pitch powertech tro4. I have hit 68 by myself. Even though it's a 4 blade prop, it's the fastest prop I've ran. Additionally, it's a great mid range and rough water prop.

Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

3. Member
    wow that's some speed. do you have a jack plate?

4. Member
    I have a 6" manual jack plate. It's set to 3.5 below. That speed is by myself and in perfect conditions. It was getting a little too squirrelly for my liking so I backed off. By no means is that a normal speed or something I'm trying to accomplish all the time. With two people and a tournament load it pegs at about 63. I just like the 4 blade for stability and mid range. It cruises at 50 mph at around 4700 rpms. It's a good prop to try out if you get a chance.

5. Member
    I went out today and here are some results from 4 different props

Ok so at WOT here are the results. 3.5" ptp, and I had a buddy with me in the boat. All numbers are full trim or damn close

1. Raker 2- 24P- barely 5400 RPM, 22-25 water pressure- about 61 gps, decent hole shot

2. Power tech 4 blade- 24P- 4800 RPM, 22-25 water pressure- 57 gps- terrible hole shot

3. Quicksilver torrent- 25P- 5100 RPM, 22-25 water pressure- almost 63 gps- terrible hole shot

4. Quicksilver torrent- 23P- 5400 RPM- 25 water pressure- 61-62 gps- great hole shot, less than 3 seconds

thoughts?

6. Member
    None of those props were able to turn correct WOT rpms. Your water pressure is more than good so I would think you could raise your motor at least .25 if not .5. Just by reading those numbers I would bet a 23p raker 2 would be perfect. You would probably pick up 1 or 2 mph because you could turn it faster and because it's a smaller pitch it would get you out of the hole faster than the 24.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting mine dialed in was a major pain the you know what. The 23 raker 2 seems like a good fit. I would give it a try. Keep me updated on how it works out. Good luck with everything and be safe during the process.

7. Member
    Will do!!

8. Member
    If you still have your old 22 raker try running it or a new 22" raker since I don't think they make a 23". You'll turn more rpm's closer to 5800 where you want to be.

9. Member
    I have no idea what pitch raker's come in but if mdtritn21 is right about it not coming in a 23 than a new or worked on 22 raker 2 might be perfect. Also, what about a 23 tempest plus?

10. Member
    I am going to try a 23 tempest and a will try the original raker 22

i raised my motor to 2 7/8" PTP and ran it tonight. I ran props #4 & #1

WOT, near full trim

#4- ran almost 64, 5600 rpm, 25 water pressure, great hole shot

#1- ran about 61-62, 5400 rpm, 25 water pressure, great hole shot

Both started chine walking at full trim

my thoughts are to keep these two props for testing and add my original 22 raker and a 23 and 24 tempest to the mix and raise the motor another .25" to see what happens

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Your very close to being dialed in...send #4 to Mark Croxten and tell him you need 1-200 more rpm and you're good to go.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmanucr View Post
    I have no idea what pitch raker's come in but if mdtritn21 is right about it not coming in a 23 than a new or worked on 22 raker 2 might be perfect. Also, what about a 23 tempest plus?
    I found this interesting...read the note in the Raker II link then click on the Raker HO link. From what I gather they come in the same pitch numbers but the HO has adjustable vent holes.

http://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.co...son-propellers

13. Member
    I think raising the motor .25 is a good call and JR19 is right. If you send #4 off to Mark you might get back a prop that is absolutely perfect for your boat. Let us know how the tempest does. I do think a 23 tempest is going to be a better bet than a 24. Also, its best to get near full WOT rpms now while the water is cooler. In the summer, its going to be hard to turn those same numbers so being on the high end of WOT with cooler temps is a good thing. Glad you're getting it dialed in!

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    very good point...its typical to lose 100 rpm in the heat of summer...i have seen some lose as much as 200 rpm

15. Member
    while I am awaiting some more props from the local prop shop- I went out last night and ran my original 22 raker at the same PTP of 2 7/8". I got up to 6000 RPM which is the red line, however my GPS speed was only barely 60-60.5 mph and there was no wind at all. The boat had an amazing hole shot and the water pressure was at 27.

I think with the lower speed and higher water pressure, it's safe to rule this prop out of the mix.

Thoughts?

16. Member
    You're probably right. Might want to hold onto it in case you add a power pole or have to carry an extra large load one day. Just curious, which props are you waiting on? Also, your water pressure numbers are extremely high. Are those normal etec numbers? I ask because I'm just not familiar with etecs.

17. Member
    I am not too familiar with etec water pressures. anyone else?

I have two power pole

18. Member
    Have the original raker 22" repaired to get rid of some slip and use it in the summer and if you put the tempest and torrent side by side you'll notice they are the same prop. The older torrent didn't have PVS holes drilled in it and was not polished so you may not need a 23" tempest.

19. Member
    I got a 23P tempest and the prop shop worked on the prop to get the extra 200 rpms, two large holes plugged. Same PTP of 2 7/8". Ran 62 mph and close to 5700 RPM. A decent chip on the lake. Water pressure still 25

I am going to go to 2.5" and try it out. Does anyone recommend removing any plus in the prop to assist with RPMs or speed?

20. Member
    Plugs*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast