Thread: Pump sizes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pump sizes?

Can someone verify if these should be 500 or 750gph? Replacing all my batteries and going to replace these yellow pumps and probably the manual valve too (even though they all work), they are aged and brittle. The bilge pump is fairly new. Also, I can't find the "T" that goes to the bottom of the pumpout and to the manual valve... Would west marine have this? Any preference between Johnson and Rule brands?

Thanks!
    Champion 206
    250XB

2. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Champion 206
    250XB

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    My 210 had 500gph on the livewell pumps, I upped to 700. Bilge was 800 which the replacement cartridge was NLA, so I went with 1100. My OEM are Rule, but I always had this thing for Mayfair (Johnson)

4. Member
    Also, what size are these hoses? Most advertise 3/4", but they look bigger...
    Champion 206
    250XB

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    My 210 had 500gph on the livewell pumps, I upped to 700. Bilge was 800 which the replacement cartridge was NLA, so I went with 1100. My OEM are Rule, but I always had this thing for Mayfair (Johnson)

Thanks, Reggie. I don't use them very often, but don't want them too big, so I don't get over-flow.
    Champion 206
    250XB

6. Member
    As far as the "T" when I did my pumps the guy from Rule told me to go to home depot and get a "T" from the plumbing section. That's what I did and it worked great. I had to file the ridges down to match the one I took out, after that installation and success.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

7. Member
    Just get a pvc or nylon T from your local home improvement store

8. Member
    I'll pull the "T" out and take it to the hardware store to find a match. Thanks.
    Champion 206
    250XB

9. Member
    Just pulled mine to replace. Livewell was 750 and bilge 1000. That's on a '94 176

10. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo30 View Post
    Just pulled mine to replace. Livewell was 750 and bilge 1000. That's on a '94 176
    This^^^ Except bilge is a 750 as well. It shoots out like 3 feet. Quite the fountain effect. '99 202

Won't a 3/4" line restricit how many gph can be pushed through it? A 750 gph pump could be max. Putting a 1,000 gph on a 3/4" line may not increase gph, you'd have to goto 1" line or larger to obtain your 1,000 gph goal. Just my .02 cents.

12. Member
    Well... I bought two 500 gph pumps and put them in today. The livewell fill pump WAS a 750gph. I don't use my livewell much, so I hope it isn't too bad when I do. Going to go ahead and order a new valve and the other two thru-hull fittings while I have it apart.

Just bought 3 new batteries yesterday and have them on the charger. One bank isn't charging as it should, I guess a new Dual Pro is in order...

This has turned into a B.O.A.T. project...
    Champion 206
    250XB

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMouth View Post
    Won't a 3/4" line restricit how many gph can be pushed through it? A 750 gph pump could be max. Putting a 1,000 gph on a 3/4" line may not increase gph, you'd have to goto 1" line or larger to obtain your 1,000 gph goal. Just my .02 cents.
    If I'm not mistaken, they rate the pump on what it's output straight from the pump with no hose so I won't be getting 1000 gph once it is restricted with hose and elevation. I tried searching but the best that I could find was to match the hose to what the pump fitting was and 750-1000 is suppose to be ok with a 3/4". I am in no way a guru on the pumps and ratings. I know how mine handled with what was in it so I figured that I would be ok with another 1000. Before reading the pump, I would have guessed it to be a 500.

Quote Originally Posted by dkennimer View Post
    Can someone verify if these should be 500 or 750gph? Replacing all my batteries and going to replace these yellow pumps and probably the manual valve too (even though they all work), they are aged and brittle. The bilge pump is fairly new. Also, I can't find the "T" that goes to the bottom of the pumpout and to the manual valve... Would west marine have this? Any preference between Johnson and Rule brands?

Thanks!
    Slice a very small section of your hose off (1/4"). Take it to Lowes as stated. Go to the irrigation section of the plumbing. Look for the gray T, barb end fittings. Use whatever name brand pump that has a dry run feature and self priming that you can get the best deal.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

15. Member
    Just finished. Damn am I hurting! The only thing I couldn't do was large over-flow thru-hull fitting. I tried for an hour to get the hose off. With the others, I had to cut the hoses off because of age. I didn't have new hose for this. Oh well, it is all glass there and it hasn't been leaking. I was hoping to do everything while standing on my head.

Got all new pumps, valve and new batteries and new charger.

Next project is replacing and resealing the jackplate bolts. I'll have to go to my BIL's shop to use his forklift for motor support.
    Champion 206
    250XB

16. Member
    I'm finishing mine up also. It is much easier with no motor. Now that I've done it with and without, I think it is almost worth removing the motor to do it.

17. Banned
    Quick question if anybody knows... different model, 198. I replaced all the pumps and first had a 500gph at the pump out. Bought a 800gph because the 500 didn't seem to have much umph, only spit the water about 3" above the side discharge. Well the 800 doesn't pump the water any higher than the 500 did, thoughts? Maybe clogged hose?

18. Member
    Mine was a 1000 and i never notice the stream more than a few inches above the discharge. It pumps water out pretty quickly though. It has to do with size of hose, length, height, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Quick question if anybody knows... different model, 198. I replaced all the pumps and first had a 500gph at the pump out. Bought a 800gph because the 500 didn't seem to have much umph, only spit the water about 3" above the side discharge. Well the 800 doesn't pump the water any higher than the 500 did, thoughts? Maybe clogged hose?
    Question of reference towards which pump? The live well pump out?
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

20. Banned
    Yes sir, the livewell pump out. The one where you can fill your bag (if you're not like me and can actually catch fish that is). Really figured it would shoot at least 6" out. The bilge pump puts out a pretty good stream and it's a 800gph also. I might need to blow some air though it just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast