Fury 4 24p porpoising questions

618 pro phoenix 175hp proxs

First trip out yesterday and I'm heading back out tomorrow so I'd like to get some opinions so I can raise or lower the jackplate a hair. Current height is 3 3/8" below pad. 5600-5700 rpms I'm getting 65mph. That seems rather poor? I'm experienced some mild porpoising somewhere in the 45-55mph area but as I trim up and get over 60 it goes away. My guess is that I should lower the ptp a 1/4" and try there? I am losing speed fairly early in the trimming stage so I feel like I'm missing out on several mph

2. Member
    I've got a 920 w/250proxs so completely different, but just tried running a 26p fury 4 yesterday. I'm also no expert at all! But from all I have read, seen and tested, unless that boat is very different, you will want/need to raise your motor a fair bit. If you have a smartcraft or merc monitor where you can get a good water pressure reading I would go up at least 1/2" and watch water pressure. My first run with mine was at 2-7/8" and pressure was still over 20psi. Couldn't get enough rpm's so raised it to 1.75! and kept a VERY close eye on pressure! Turns out that was a little too high as got more blowout than I wanted, and my boat doesnt seem to want to turn that prop really well, but my water pressure was still around 15+ even that high. Hope all that helps.

3. Member
    That's close to being all it's got since it will only turn 5750 rpm's. They used to turn 6000 rpm's with that motor but I guess they dropped them again this year.

4. Member
    It's a 2013 pro xs so it turns 6k. Unless I'm wrong and my tach is off when I ran a 24p fury last year. Added talons and felt I should upgrade to the Fury 4

5. Member
    I feel like the reason for the loss of speed as I trim up is the prop losing bite as the prop is surfacing? I had a good deal more trim before losing bite with the 3 blade fury and would gain an additional 5 mph by trimming out (70 mph almost every time out without livewells being full)

6. Member
    You added two Talons and a four blade prop and think it will run the same speed. The Talons cost you 2 mph and the extra blade probably cost another 2. Have you tried running the 24 fury 3 blade since adding the Talons?

7. Member
    Unfortunately I banged the 24 fury 3 up a good bit and sold it. It ran 63-63.7 consistently yesterday on a bigger lake- the 65 speed may have been a little untrue due to being on a damned river/lake with minimal current. Didnt adjust the jackplate- ran out of time/wanted to fish instead of fiddle with sockets and wrenches. Is it normal to lose 400 rpms going from a 3 to 4 blade? The whole reason I went with the fury 4 was all the hype that it would turn just as fast as the 3 with the whole "no need to drop a pitch" mumbo jumbo floating around from mercury pro staff... I would guarantee I could get more speed from a 23p tempest plus as theres several guys on the bird board running it with poles/talons getting 64-66. Guess its time to dump the $$$ into a smartcraft setup

8. Member
    Did you have the Talons on when you had the three blade? Normally you'll lose 100-150 going to a four blade of the same pitch and on most boats some speed to but the fury 4 is larger in diameter and should run a 1/4" + higher than a regular fury. For a 24" prop turning 5700 rpm's with 1:87 gears 65 would be dead on 10% slip which is hard for most boats to achieve with Talons hanging on there. 63-63.7 is probably it. You need to turn 23" prop close to 6000 to get 66 with 10% slip and with the weight hanging on the stern you'll never get down to 10% slip. Did you add anything else like a group 31 battery or two? Are you running a 36 volt troller with four batteries? Your expecting too much from a small block motor.

9. Member
    Yupp three big ole optima blue tops but they were in there last year when I was running 70 with just gas and a partner. 2 27's and a 31. Also a minnkota 3 bank charger that probably weighs 15lbs. So I should be happy with 6-7mph loss adding talons? Im going to try raising the motor a bit as well as lowering it if I get out on a solo trip. No talons with the 3 blade fury last year. I also have a fortrex 80 but that was on there last year as well. Purchased the components to dump the gauge and go digital to keep a better eye on water pressure/rpms. Weekend project.

10. Member
    Nick.. i upgraded my smartcraft to a level 1 Merc Monitor. It really is great..

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I have read more than once here on BBC that Phoenix hulls require less trim compared to most other hulls. Since this is your first trip out I would try again with less trim.

12. Member
    Unless that 4 blade is beat up you're not losing bite. Raise the motor. You'll end up raising the motor several times before you find it because you'll think there's no way it'll run that high.