Echomap 73sv questions

I was able take advantage of a recent sale at Cabelas for the non-chirp version of the 73sv for $449. Based on what you get for that price it seems like a great deal! I just had a couple of questions regarding the unit. I powered it on and it says it has software 3.8. I think this is the latest software am I correct? Also wondering about the charts. I think I read that I get to update it once for free. How do I check the latest charts and if not up to date do you recommend I do it at this time?

Thanks

2. Member
    Go to Garmin.com find your model and the will be a line marked software on the right side and it will tell you the latest sw level. Just checked myself 3.8 is the newest

3. Member
    Ok, that's what I thought, thanks. What about the Charts? Is it new every year?

4. Member
    Garmin comes out with new charts every year. Sometimes twice a year. The 2017 versions of the internal maps are due out 3 May.

When you power up your unit, it will tell you what charts are installed. Or you can look under Settings/System/Software (if Im remembering it correctly).

I would recommend you register your unit with Garmin. Then download Garmin Express. When you run Express, it will tell you what maps are on your unit now and show you what up-dates to those maps are available to download and it will let you download them. You get one free map up-date within one year of purchase.

You can also go to WWW.lakes.Garmin.com and you will see a list of all the lakes in the most recent version of the maps and you can look up your favorites and see exactly what kind of coverage it has or doesnt have.

There was a list posted in one of the recent threads that showed what lakes were being added in the 2017 up-date.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    Great info, thanks much I appreciate it.

6. Member
    I downloaded the Express software but it is asking me to connect the unit. I'm guessing I need the microsd card to do this or is there a cable that plugs directly into my PC? Thanks

7. Member
    Sign in with your My Garmin account username and password. Any registered Garmin devices will show up, marine, car, handheld etc.

After you do that, your mfd should show up.

If it doesnt, try the sd card. You may need to copy your built in maps to the sd card first.

Im not sure on that because customer support isnt sure on that. Also Express still isnt working 100% correctly.

I had to go through all those steps and Express is still showing me I have different maps installed that I dont have and they are the wrong versions.

However, you dont want to download any "up-date" maps until after 3 May. Right now you cannot get any up-date maps. It will only download Accessory maps and they will have to stay in the sd card slot full time.

8. Member
    Be careful - when you talk to support. They are still calling those Accessory maps Up-date maps - and they are not up-date maps. You have to wait till after 3 May to get the true up-date maps.

9. Member
    The only way to Register my device is with a USB or SD card. I have no where to enter serial number.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Be careful - when you talk to support. They are still calling those Accessory maps Up-date maps - and they are not up-date maps. You have to wait till after 3 May to get the true up-date maps.
    Thanks for the heads up

11. Member
    I almost forgot - how old is your echomap? The older models cant up-date the internal maps to the latest versions. The newest maps are too large for the internal memory. If yours is too old, you will need to keep the new map on an sd card and use it in the slot.

Here are the quotes from Todd on this.

Yes, with the actual map update card, it updates your current preloaded mapping. In this case, it works just like all other updates in that once the process is complete, the preloaded mapping is updated and you do not need the card in the unit.

At times, Support may actually send an up-to-date LakeVu accessory mapping card instead of the preloaded mapping update card. The contour info is the same, but in this case, you would need to leave the LakeVu accessory card in the unit.

I would recommend that customers make sure and specifically ask for the preloaded mapping update card, so you don't have to leave the card in the unit.

and

Regarding 2017 mapping availability, updated LakeVu and BlueChart accessory cards will be available for purchase March 15. Cards to update the preloaded, built-in mapping won't be available until May 3.

However, note that for 2015-2016 echoMAP units preloaded with LakeVu HD, this 2017 preloaded mapping update is too large to fit in the echoMAP memory. Users will have to keep the mapping card in the unit to view 2017 mapping, as well as any future mapping updates.

The new echoMAPs coming out of the factory after May 3 will already include the 2017 preloaded mapping, and will have enough internal memory to allow for the preloaded mapping update in 2018 and beyond.

If users attempt a built-in map update to 2015 or older mapping prior to the May 3 availability of the 2017 mapping, users will also have to keep the 2016 update card in the unit (data will not permanently transfer to unit memory), just as I described above for the 2017 mapping update and any additional years.
    If your unit is new enough to up-date the internal maps, you still need to wait until 3 May to download those map up-dates.

If its the older version, then you can download the Accessory maps now - although Im not sure if the 2017 versions are actually out yet. They are not showing up on my Express yet. I would wait until you can get the 2017 version.

12. Member
    I believe it's a 2015 version, at least that is the map version it came with. I am not able to register it with a serial number. The only option I have is to plug it in with USB or SD card. Basically I get a "searching" prompt asking me to insert card.

13. Member
    So if I understand this right, in order to update my 2015 unit to the newest charts, I'll have to leave the card in the slot all the time? So what if I want to use quickdraw, will I be able to use the same card with the maps or will I have to switch them out?

14. Member
    There should be a link so you can sign in with your My Garmin info....

15. Member
    When you go to add a new device, click on that link. Then sign in with your My Garmin info. You need to register your device with My Garmin first.

express5.JPG

16. Member
    Ok, thanks I'll have to look again. I did try the My Garmin Info path and created an account and such and still got to a screen in which it asks me to insert an SD card (was my only option). I tried to post a screen shot, but needed admin approval.

17. Member
    After reading this and the thread on THT, makes ya wonder what is taking Garmin
    so long to make it easier on these map issues.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTro View Post
    Ok, thanks I'll have to look again. I did try the My Garmin Info path and created an account and such and still got to a screen in which it asks me to insert an SD card (was my only option). I tried to post a screen shot, but needed admin approval.
    Did you try putting the sd card from your unit in the computer? It will need to have the GARMIN folder on it and the device files. If you dont have an sd card you normally use int eh unit, put one in and then save a screen shot or save a waypoint to the sd card or copy the internal maps to the card. Copying the builtin maps would probably be best, but any of them should work - I think. Doing that should create the GARMIN folder and copy those files to it.

Then, put that sd card in your computer and re-start Express. Hopefully, it will find your device. You should still finish your My Garmin account setup.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    After reading this and the thread on THT, makes ya wonder what is taking Garmin
    so long to make it easier on these map issues.
    no kidding!