Praying 03 OX66 250 Fuel issues?

So I was having the issue with the continuous buzzer, after replacing the Ranger keypad I haven't had that issue any longer, of course now it is something else...

Started the boat up coming off the ramp, idled and ran great, let heat up for 10 or so min. then headed out to main lake. Got on plane and stayed there for 15-20 seconds, engine cuts out and warning buzzer sounds momentarily then goes away. I power up again and ran all the way to the dam of the lake (about 15 minute ride) I was pretty well trimmed out (just under 6k RPM) and she ran amazing. We've been running around all day powering up and off with no issues, towards the end of the day it is idling fairly rough and stumbling until it is given a little throttle. I try to get on plane and it flat cuts off again although no warning buzzer. Try to crank it 4 or 5 times and it wont start, I go a feel the primer ball it it isn't firm, give it some pumps she starts up an off we go. Make another 10 minute run as i am about to come off pad it cuts out again, no buzzer, so i did the same thing and it started back up but idling rough, When she runs I have plenty of power.

My steps are going to be Replace aux water separator, engine mounted fuel filter, Vts filter, replace all 3 LP fuel pumps, plugs are new, and clean 02 sensor... Am I on the right track? Anyone experience this before?

Something else I have just noticed, not sure if it is contributing, is that i am noticing a little oil on top of my aux oil tank, it is about half full, cap is tight, doesn't look to have any oil on the lines or anything just the top by the cap.

2. Member
    Could be the fuel pump relay. Common issue on this motor. Motor will intermittently not start or cut out under power. Not sure why the buzzer came on though. Check your fuel pressure. Should be 30 -35 psi and steady. Check it on a hose.

Might also replace the bulb.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 03-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.

3. Member
    Do you have a link to the LP pump?
    2001 tr-21 triton 225 Yamaha xo66

4. Member
    Well today I changed all 3 LP pumps. I pulled them apart all the diaphragms looked ok (they were the new model black ones) so theyve been changed before. My external water seperator was NASTY! Engine mounted fuel filter looked eh, and my VST was suspect as well.

Heres my question. I can't prime the fuel system at the moment because I need gas in the boat but I have a ranger with a keypad so I can't just turn the key and let the HP pump run and fill everything. Do I just need to pump the crap out of the primer ball until the engine mounted bowl fills which will then fill the vst? How do I bleed the air out of that? Thanks!

5. Banned
    Point the primer bulb arrow up and start priming. It does help to disconnect fuel line from the first filter on the motor. Put your finger over the end of the line when releasing the primer bulb so it won't suck air back into the line. It may take a while but eventually fuel will prime up. Main thing, primer bulb must be pointing up!!

6. Member
    Glad it seems like the fix. The water separator does not get enough credit my two cents ts. It is your biggest and first line of defense from trash and water getting to the motor.
    I purchased my boat with yamaha and it did not have one. I got one right way and change every season.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Point the primer bulb arrow up and start priming. It does help to disconnect fuel line from the first filter on the motor. Put your finger over the end of the line when releasing the primer bulb so it won't suck air back into the line. It may take a while but eventually fuel will prime up. Main thing, primer bulb must be pointing up!!
    awesome. I'll do that! Do I need to crack anything on the VST to purge air from that??