Chine walk-motor mounts?

1B275521 Mercury pro xs 225
    Does this motor have solid mounts? If not what is the likely hood of them being wore out and causing the motor to sway side to side? I got a chine walk problem and can't seem to cure it? It doesn't always do it but boy when it does it gets western real quick!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Has it just started doin this ?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    No been doing it the whole time. I have tried all the tricks of weight distribution then got to thinking maybe it's not the boat. This brings up the question about the the motor
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

4. Member
    Maybe have an experienced driver take it for a ride, and see what he thinks.

5. Member
    I purchased my current boat little over a couple years ago and I had the same problem, I read up on all the tricks that are supposed to help but at the end of the day I was ready to pull my hair out. Now its a different story, I can drive the boat WOT all the while working my electronics and the only thing I can attribute this to is driving time in this boat. Is the chine-walk still there? Sure it is but I've learned to head it off before it happens.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mounts are stiff (not solid in terms of "solid aluminum").

You can usually get a pretty good idea of their "health" by raising the tilt up off the short rams, grab the gearcase, and pull up/down/side to side. Observe any play areas.

Check your STEERING CYLINDER too- that's the #1 source of "undesirable handling" that we see.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don how much play should there be up and down when doing the above check in your previous post?
    Last edited by Firecat; 04-14-2018 at 05:45 AM.

8. Member
    A gambler with a 250 will definitely take some driving. My outlaw with a 150 took some driving past 60 mph. Lots of YouTube videos on this and start with less trim as you start jerking the wheel to the left.