Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitro z7 w/ 175 won't get on pad... Hooked hull?

Ok guys, I'm new to the world of bigger bass boats and I recently picked up a 2010z7 w/ a 175 ProXS

My brother in law has the same boat 2011 but with a 150. He is pretty familiar with nitro boats.

We went to the lake and my boat would only do 55mph and 5100 rpm. It hops right up on plane and the engine feels fine. It plowed water and wouldn't get up on pad at all. It's like no matter how much trim- the spray from the side was about even with the front rod box.

We measured prop to pad and it was 5 inches - no jackplate so we raised it up a few bolt holes to get 3.5 prop to pad.

We are both at the lake today - I'm now 5100-5200 rpm still 54-55 mph.
    we made sure the engine was trimming up, has a 24 tempest in great shape. This boat will not get on pad.

when u trim it up it hardly changes the attitude at all- just starts throwing a massive rooster tail.
    When He trims his boat up the front end climbs and the spray goes out of view and out the rear of the boat. His boat is on pad around 40-45 easy.

We brought it home and compared everything - everything is identical and spot on - I'm 99 percent positive the engine is fine. Dealer just checked it out before the sale.

we did find a bad dip in his hull- worse on one side.

if I can't get a pic to upload tonight I will tomorrow.

Could a hooked hull be his pronlem?
    thanks !

!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Sounds to me like you might have to much weight in the front of the boat or the motor doesn't have enough leverage to pick up the front of the boat. I think if you put a jackplate on it that would help. Also yes a hook in the hull would cause your problem.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

3. Member
    Swap props and see if there is a difference ... Could be a cupping issue ??

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I sent it to the dealer this morning to get their opinion. I hoping it's something simple. The engine sounds great I just don't see it being an issue

5. Member
    I think there were some hulls in that year range that were off in some way, even if they weren't hooked. I had a 2010 Z7 w/175 and it would lift about as expected with a light load. Usually 62-63 best case. With a heavy load, it was an absolute dog. 53-54 was the norm for a full load, and that was with a 6" plate, height ranging from 4" to 3" BP, all positions yielding similar results. I tried 4 different props,all having similar results. Motor seemed strong and I had the throttle position checked to verify it was reaching 100% as well.
    2015 Phoenix 819

6. Member
    I had the same issue. Run the boat and pull the plug. I bet one is wet. Have them look for a wire harness issue.
    Shane

7. Member
    We checked the plugs and the coils
    all firing - at least with the engine just cranking - may not be at higher RPM??

8. Member
    The picture does not look good, in post #1!!

How Much Fuel you Carrying?
    Carry 2 big ole Boys?
    Tell us more about your weight?

10. Member
    My z7 with 175pro xs wasn't jumping on plane like it used to. I brought it in for service this year because impeller was bad come to find out I had a few bad plugs. Replaced all the sparkplugs and impeller and now it is as strong as new again..
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

11. Member
    Curious as to what you found wrong, if anything at all. I have a 2013 Z-7 with the same issue. When I bought it new, it would get on pad and performed like it should have. I started having the same issues you have described to a tee!! Long story short, I took it to the shop, they thought it was the motor(Merc 150 4 stroke). Ended up getting a new motor, and now it still has the same problems. Cant get the bow up and plow thru the water to the point that I don't like driving it in water that is even half rough. Its almost as if the front is heavy like its full of water. No water drains out of the rear plug at all, though. I guess the next step is to try to find a shop that will inspect the under side of the hull. Maybe some damage where the hull sits on the bunk boards?

12. Member
    I put a jack plate on it and it will get 5400 @ 61. With a passenger 5200 @ 56-58

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    I put a jack plate on it and it will get 5400 @ 61. With a passenger 5200 @ 56-58
    PM me when you get a chance please sir.

I have a 2011 with a 150proxs , these just don’t lift.
    721 ​ProXp

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdupre View Post
    I have a 2011 with a 150proxs , these just don’t lift.
    I beg to differ with you on that.

16. Member
    I had most all of these comments given to me also. I have tried all of this. My 2011 Z7 has the same issue except it will only run 38 mph. Chadwick, your hull is hooked and none of the things people are telling you will make it any better. I have a post dated 8-13-2017 with pictures of my host's hull. Looks a lot like yours. I have called Nitro several times and was told, not their problem. I am the third owner. The hull does not have a warranty beyond the second owner as long as that owner has jumped through all the hoops.

This is not asking for warranty work on gauges, seats, or any other item in the boat. I was asking them to own up to a serious manufactures defect. Whether through materials or process or combination of both, this is directly related to how they built their hull. Period.

You may be in the same boat as me, only you are able to run 20 mph faster.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    150 Mercury Optimax

17. Member
    Yea, it’s a hook in the hull. My tournament partner was the prior owner of my 2010 z-7 and had it fixed before I purchased it. We would max out around 52-54. After it got fixed the speed increased a bit on the top end to 58-60. Now I’m looking at repowering, I think the 150 is underpowered for the boat.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    Yea, it’s a hook in the hull. My tournament partner was the prior owner of my 2010 z-7 and had it fixed before I purchased it. We would max out around 52-54. After it got fixed the speed increased a bit on the top end to 58-60. Now I’m looking at repowering, I think the 150 is underpowered for the boat.
    They are underpowered for sure. 18ft/200hp, 19ft/225hp, 20-21ft/250hp..... IMO
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

19. Member
    My 2012 Z7 had a hooked hull.After taking to the dealer they reproped no difference moved the motor around no difference.(Tech that did this is no longer at my dealer) I took it back this past fall They put it on a lift and mine was hooked similar to the picture you posted. Thanks to the great Technician and service manager they went to bat for me contacted Nitro and I'm going to pick it up in a couple days they issued me a new hull.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edrife View Post
    My 2012 Z7 had a hooked hull.After taking to the dealer they reproped no difference moved the motor around no difference.(Tech that did this is no longer at my dealer) I took it back this past fall They put it on a lift and mine was hooked similar to the picture you posted. Thanks to the great Technician and service manager they went to bat for me contacted Nitro and I'm going to pick it up in a couple days they issued me a new hull.

Thats great to hear
    Nitro z21

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast