Exclamation Minor flesh wound or full on panic mode?

So I decided to start my silicon stripping job today and it went well. Only about 30 minutes per side for the rub rail area. Then I peeled off the stainless trim at the back and started removing all of the old stuff there. It is almost 1/2" thick at the joint! A lot more time to spend there still. I removed the Talon and opened up the bilge so I could access the jack plate bolts and I saw a crack in....something. Everything appears to be dry. I did hit a shoal last year (first time ever) and had to replace the lower unit. I am guessing that impact is what caused this crack. What am I looking at? Cause for real concern or a quick patch? It just seems to be the top 1/16th" layer. For some reason all of my pictures download fine on my computer, but when I upload them, they spin upside down or side ways?

2. Member
    Looks like the layer of fiberglass on top of the cross member that runs across the top of the knee braces. Big question is what is the integrity of the cross member, which might be hard to tell. Things will flex back there without breaking after an impact, so it's possible that crack occurred without structural damage to the cross brace or transom. Probably best to have a good shop take a look.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

^This

4. Member
    Contact your insurance and ask them if they can do a supplement to your claim. Have their adjuster come look at it.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Good Advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkennimer View Post
    Contact your insurance and ask them if they can do a supplement to your claim. Have their adjuster come look at it.
    Musclford

1983 18'4" Champ / 1988 Merc 150 XR4

Previous - 16'8" Champ w/150 Merc

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Not sure how old your boat is but...
    Be careful having Ins Co look at it. It doesn't take much for them to assess that the "Cost of repair, Exceeds value of boat".
    Then you're screwed. Almost happened to me once on the transom of a 1994 Stratos.
    I Just barely snuck under that line and they did cover it.

7. Member
    Just one other thought. It may be tempting to inspect it yourself and just "live with it", I know I'd be tempted to do that as well. If you only ever fish alone, it's only your own hide as risk. If you ever take other people out though, you have their lives and family at stake as well. When I discovered all the issues with mine - rot, even termites, one thought was to just take a huge financial loss and sell the boat as is. Even that thought, we were concerned that someone else might not take the damage that seriously and could potentially suffer a catastrophic failure resulting in injury or death. One little crack could jut be one little crack, or it could be a sign of something major, and I don't think I'd want to be the one making that call for peace of mind.

8. Banned
    Any spider cracks on the outside of the transom?

and DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FISHING TOURNAMENTS or the claim will be declined...

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    and DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FISHING TOURNAMENTS or the claim will be declined...
    Seriously? Now that is a damn shame. You should not be penalized for fishing tournaments!!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Seriously? Now that is a damn shame. You should not be penalized for fishing tournaments!!!
    Yes, read your insurance policy very carefully. They often exempt themselves from damage due to "races, competitions, etc", anything they can do to deny a claim.

Matt
    \'96 202 Champ \"Old Blue\"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Any spider cracks on the outside of the transom?
    No other cracks. Your scenario is not me Kevin. I am very safety first. I will let you guys know what I find out, but it will be a few weeks as we are still battling snow and salt up here.

13. Member
    Well, at least you discovered it in the down time....hopefully nothing major, or an easy fix either way.

Good Luck,

Please update when you know

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. eh Champ! View Post
    No other cracks. Your scenario is not me Kevin. I am very safety first. I will let you guys know what I find out, but it will be a few weeks as we are still battling snow and salt up here.
    Musclford

1983 18'4" Champ / 1988 Merc 150 XR4

Previous - 16'8" Champ w/150 Merc

15. Member
    I finally have an update. My local marina went through the boat today. The tech did some investigatory work and says it is only cosmetic damage and the transom is completely dry. YAY! Then he said to get it professionally repaired would be about $1500. He said I could do it myself with a fiberglass repair kit but advised that the most cost effective way to reseal it was with 3M 5200. He said to inject it into the crack and then put a clamp on the splintered part. Once it is cured he said to go back over the complete crack with another bead. It sounds a lot more plausible than spending $1500 on a spot up high in the bilge area that will never be wet. What do you guys think?

If it were me I would find a diffrent shop and have it glassed over. Or get a second opinion. $1500 is a butt raping for that simple of a job. Or REALLY research it and so it yourself. That is unless insurance will pay for it. That area can get wet from rough water or back washing. I wouldn't chance it.

17. Member
    The guy said insurance would never cover it because there is no diffinitive way to say that it was caused by the impact with the shoal.

It's worth a shot. Worst they can say is no.