Shifter control does not seem safe

Hello all,

I have a 2008 Nitro 911CDC with 300xs. It is new to me. The shifter control does not feel safe. It is the same shifter control as in this picture.

I also have a hot foot and teleflex trim control on the steering wheel (looks like a blinker switch).

The shifter only goes into forward and reverse, it is not what I use for throttle. I doesn't "lock" or "click" into neutral, it just slides and is very easy to slide out of neutral, too. I had my kid in the boat with me last weekend and went to tie the boat up and he bumped the shifter and threw it into reverse....NOT good!

Additionally, the shifter has a full range of motion when moving it into reverse, but the range of motion only partially goes forward before it stops. It seems like it should have an even range of motion in both forward and reverse.

How do I adjust this thing? I already tried the shifter adjustment in the engine but couldn't make any improvement.

I'd really like this thing to kind of click into and out of neutral, too. Or at least have a larger range of motion before it engages into gear. You barely move the thing and it kicks into gear. Not safe, IMO...

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a shifter tension on the back of the shifter control on all my gunnel mounted mercs, a black plastic wing nut?