Water coming out of spark plug hole.

1998 125 Merc, Serial# OG663892. I installed a water pressure gauge on the motor today, took it to the river to run it to see if there were any leaks. When I was loading up I noticed water dripping out of the front of the cowl. Got home and hooked it up to the hose and water is spraying from out around the top spark plug. I pulled the plug and there was no water on the electrode. I cannot see any cracks any where on the head or around the plug hole. The water seems to be coming out of the bottom of the plug hole back in the spark plug recess. Any clue about what's going on?

These engines do not have a conventional head. In fact they don't have a head. I think these engines are called "blind bore" or something like that but anyway the cylinder walls and the "head" are all cast as one piece. What you are calling a "head" is actually a water jacket cover and it seals against the one piece cylinder/head assembly at the base of the spark plug hole. Basically you just need to replace the water jacket gasket.

Thank you David, I did notice what looked like rubber? protruding from the plug hole.

4. Member
    gasket blown
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Does anybody have a part # for the gasket?

6. Member
    443284 what else sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Loser
    My 125 did the same thing a couple years ago. Remove the cover, clean, replace gasket.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

What is the torque spec for the bolts is there a specific torque sequence, does the gasket use sealer or does it install dry

My Dad has a 1999 Mercury 115 and had the same issue about 4 years ago and it was the water jacket. I took it to my mechanic and I think I remember it being between $150 - $200 for everything.

10. Member
    18 ftlbs start in mid criss cross work way to ends

Thanks everybody for the help, I have one ordered, have a t Saturday hopefully it will get here in time to fix it.

12. Member
    no sealer needed

It's back together and no leaks and I didn't break anything else LOL. I want to thank everyone that helped me get the motor fixed, and a big ol tip of the hat to Rhonda at European Marine for her assistance otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it fixed without her going above and beyond to get the gasket to me on time. THANKS EVERYBODY.

15. Member
    good deal