System link gauges not responding???

I recently installed all new system link gauges and Mercmonitor. Fired it up today and getting nothin on the system links. MM is working correctly and showing values. No fuel level though. Gonna look into that but zero on tach,speed,trim and fuel. I believe it is something simple. Do I need to have a Terminator at the end of the line? From the MM harness I have the lead labeled system link to tach then Daisy chained through. Any good place to start looking?

225 ProXS
    1B380805
    Last edited by Astyle954; 03-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.

I recently did the same .. all mine work except the trim .. not sure about it . I need to research but I think there is a digital trim sender. 3 wire , if so I have that but its not working . Also my fuel gauge isn't working (. I have not hooked it up to the tank yet) . Not sure about the fuel sending unit . Got to figure it out also..

3. Member
    I made the connection at fuel sending unit and installed the digital trim sender. Seems like the issue is between the MM and the first (tach) in the line. I'm not getting lights or anything. From what I understand the gauges run from the motor so I don't think there is anything to "enable" on the MM for them. The pros will chime in and we'll get to the bottom of it. Stay tuned.

I think the only thing I had to do was hook up the ground. Did you ground yours ? Did you have to change fuel sending unit to digital. I am not sure about that . I know you have to convert the analog to digital . as we do this at work with transmitters on pipelines.

5. Member
    I did. I used the existing Known to be good ground, I also connected the pink lead to sending unit from the fuel/oil harness. I isolated the existing analog lead to ensure no pcm feedback. I really think that resistor has to go somewhere. Lol, sure is fancy for them to just put it on there as a dust cover. I'll also dig up some paperwork on it this evening. Finding info on smartcraft is like trying to get nuclear codes from the Whitehouse.
    Last edited by Astyle954; 03-20-2017 at 08:25 AM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The 3-wire cap from the System Link Plug is NOT a resistor (it's a cap only).

Make sure you are on the System Link connector on the BLACK MERCMONITOR HARNESS (and NOT on a blue data cable).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I am sure that I'm on the SL coming from the MM harness. I posed that question while installing. I did move the plug to the last gauge in line that came in the harness. Does there need to be anything other than a cap at the end?
    Is there a flow chart for trouble shooting?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nothing required at the end of the daisy chain (other than the recommended cap, but it will still function without it).

Verify that the MercMonitor is powering up and functioning properly.

Verify that the pins in the SL connectors are fully seated.

Verify that the pins for the MercMonitor Harness (10 pin and 14 pin) are fully seated also.

Is this the ONLY Smartcraft Instrument (MercMonitor plus System LINK Gauges ONLY)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    MM works as should. I will check to see that trim is responding on MM because I added digital trim. I powered the MM via N2K as I put it all in at once. As far as smartcraft yes. The MM is the only SC instrument. I depinned the engine end plug and all seems fine but I will ensure ALL the pins are seated in it. I plugged the F/O harness in right next to oil pump into corresponding plug.
    The cap that was on the ENGINE smartcraft connection point had a Terminator in it. Does it need to go back in somewhere?
    The SL are straight off the PCM so there is nothing to enable on MM for them to work correct?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the engine fuses, also. You may be pulling power for the MercMonitor from the External Power (and the Smartcraft power fuse may be bad on the engine, killing the System Link).

System Links actually drive from the Smartcraft Instrument.

11. Member
    Ok, I'm here in the boat, the trim is working on the MM. Nothing at all on the SLs. I'm getting fuel used and reserve oil tank capacity readings so I know the F/O stuff is good.
    Don, can you tell me off hand what color the wires are coming off the system link plug coming from the MM harness? I have YEL-BLK-PRP w WHT trace. I can't get to the harness and all right now as it's all buttoned up. If the colors arent the same on both the blue CAN (older SL) plug than the MM harness plug I may can eliminate the possibility of being plugged to the wrong SL plug now.

12. Member
    The only fuses in the engine I found are good. Checked with fluke. Under a dust cap right under the MM connection. Any others?
    Could I bypass or change up the gauges to see if it's the first one in line causing the issue?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wire colors should be the same in both System Link Plugs.

I would try one system link at a time, plugged directly into the MercMonitor's BLACK harness.

14. Member
    BINGO!!! Tried the SLs one at a time no go. Removed a factory 12" extension and plugged back in and whammo. Full illumination and telemetry. The pigtail rings out pin to pin. Either it didn't like the extension or it has a bad connection. I checked this particular point several times. I would like to have the extension for adequate length on the routing. Now that I know the issue, she's whipped. I'll try the pigtail again tmrw to verify or not a no go on it. May have to get Rohnda to send me another. Many thanks gents.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let Rhonda know... best to drop her an email (we will be out until next Monday).