Thread: 797 question

797 question

Finally got to take my boat out on a real lake and drive it and it is tough to turn left. Turning right is a breeze. Is this a prop issue or something else?

797 , 250 Honda, tempest plus prop, pitch i would have to check. it is either 25 , 26.

Other wise love the boat had one issue with the hydraulic steering one of the tubes came loose and I lost most of the fluid while running.

Todays public service announcement check your connections often. no matter how new your boat is.
    SEAGUAR

2. Banned
    Not sure about a hydraulic steering system I'm running duel cables. But yes prop turns right so the boat turns right easily left is fighting the prop.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    It should turn very very easy left or right .Its good to check everything glad you found it before the bad happened.

4. Member
    Maybe the hard left steering was due to the leak in the hydraulic steering.

5. Member
    the hard left continued after the repair to the steering. I found the issue when I was running I could not turn left at all and had to fight it from just turning right. got it fixed and went out the next day and was still hard to turn left. would changing props have an effect on this or will it be the same with all props? My last body with hydraulic steering was not this tough to turn left.
    SEAGUAR

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Something is wrong it should be the same either way .I would ask the previous owner if he had any problems.I guess it could be a Honda thing ,but it just don't sound right to me.

7. Member
    I don't think it's a Honda thing unless Honda makes the hydraulic steering. Might want to call Charger.

Definitely something going on with the hyd. steering. Maybe an air pocket or something from losing the fluid.
    Charger 210 Elite

9. Member
    As I recall there's an Atlas plate on that boat, how high are you running it? What's the number on the plate gauge?

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I never have had an issue with had steering on any boat!

I'm sure you bleed the system for air after adding oil.

If the lower unit is too low it will be hard steering left. Is it easy left and right at idle?

Try raising it duff.

11. Member
    I believe it is an atlas, I was running at 9 and 10 how much higher should I go? I don't notice the air pockets in the steering like I did when I first noticed the issue. still new to the boat so just trying to dial it in and make sure it runs good and safe before I start fishing tournaments with other people in the boat.

Well I paid for it to be done as I was on a trip and did not have all my tools with me. so I hope they bleed it correctly

it has been tough to turn left every time I have had it out but the first time was only for 1.5 hrs. I am thinking it is the prop and maybe a different prop will change that.

It does run good with 3/4 tank all my gear and 500# of people it runs 65 on GPS I am sure it will get more once I figure out all the small details and tricks.
    SEAGUAR

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    I never have had an issue with had steering on any boat!

I'm sure you bleed the system for air after adding oil.

If the lower unit is too low it will be hard steering left. Is it easy left and right at idle?

Try raising it duff.
    yes it is easy at idle which is why I am thinking its the prop.
    SEAGUAR

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would try a different style of prop like a 4 blade and see if any thing changes. Also how high are you on the plate ?23/4-3 sounds like a good starting point but Hondas big gear case could be different.

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    As long as you have good water pressure I would try it higher a small bit at a time. Water pressure at 18-20, you'll usually lose performance before water pressure.
    I don't think I ever ran it that high but I never had a good prop on the boat, Ken stole mine and wouldn't give it back.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    As long as you have good water pressure I would try it higher a small bit at a time. Water pressure at 18-20, you'll usually lose performance before water pressure.
    I don't think I ever ran it that high but I never had a good prop on the boat, Ken stole mine and wouldn't give it back.

Yea, that's right. and Hick is the only reason I have a prop lock and webcam aimed at the lower unit!

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar