Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2011 225hp pro X's, won't plane

Went to lake, all was normal until idling and graphing an area noticed a vibration at 2-3 second interval. Thought it odd so tried to take off and was very sluggish, at about 2k RPM got out of it because I didn't like it. Tried again same thing. Turned off conpletrly and waited. Cranked and tried to go, same thing, so I'm pissed and we just start idling back toward the ramp miles away. Get on the phone trying to remote diagnose and while on phone after 10 min or so of idling, try to go and everything is normal. Half the day goes by with more and more confidence that it may have been a fluke trash or whatnot all tests seem normal. Decide to venture away from the ramp again, get to first wake zone set down the boat and problem surfaces again. This time for good. Can't get over 2500 rpms without getting scared of something really bad happening. Throttle response way off. Idle sometimes rough to point it seems ready to cut off. Fuel pump comes on at key turn, water peeing normally, full gas and oil, cowling oil full, bulb tight cannot squeeze much at all.

Also in looking closer at things due to this noticed voltmeter pegging 14+ when usually stays around 13+. When trimming there's volt drop I've always seen then straight to 13 before creeping up to 14+. First time I've seen this, over 4 yrs owning. Usually only 14+ when gassing throttle. If gassing throttle it just gjumps straight back to 14+ no creeping.

In looking at home afterwards, have found evidence of ethanol damage to fuel lines in filter and a broken ground terminal to the wires that have the label saying "sensor temperature and fuel management".

Anyone know what is going on with the not planing? Also might either found issue correct the problem? Have replaced the ring terminal and will be replacing fuel line bulb pump and filter. I've also had ongoing issues with starting batteries and wonder if the broken ground could be contributing to that as well.

2. Member
    2011 Mercury ProXS 225 HP 1226P73ED - 1B867912

3. Member
    Sounds a lot like the same issue a buddy had with his 90 optimax and it was a coil. Good luck!
    -Lance
    Bullet 21XD Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try it again after you get the lines, bulb, pulse fuel pump and fuel filter upgraded. A very possible source.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Will do, thanks Don. Will update after.

6. Member
    Replaced fuel line filter and bulb but cut open old lines and bulb and pump and all were spotless and looked brand new. Bit of a heads rather as to where the crap came from now. Will update after a run.

7. Member
    Test ran yesterday. Seemed all resolved hit planed fast went to 6000 rpms quickly and held at 74 mph. Set down idled a while went fishing and idling back before blasting again I felt a change, idle was different and I thought I could hear an almost imperceptible ticking. Bogged down on blast, so idled some more until I felt something kick back in and felt right. I just knew it had corrected again so I googled it and sure enough it took off as normal but kicked out and would only get to 5500 rpms and about 62 mph. Set down again and idled a bit, again it bogged on blasting. To hell with it I said and bogged it until on plane and it would only do 5400 rpms and 60 mph. After a quarter mile I felt it kick in and it went back to 6000 rpms and 72(had water in livewell then). After that I gave it hell for a long while and no issues. Set down fished idled around cut off and on goosed. Boat performed flawlessly rest of day. I have no clue what is kicking in and out. Thoughts on something to test? It's going to the shop tomorrow regardless for inspection and yearly maintenance.

8. Member
    Perform a spark test as the problem is occurring.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and inspect your PLUG WIRES for nicks, abrasions, arching, or loose connections at the ends.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks guys, will give an update when I get it back. Was supposed to be getting looked at about an hour after dropped off so hopefully soon enough.

11. Member
    had the same exact issue today...

12. Member
    Someone please confirm the rated Max RPM for this motor. Service is now telling me it is 5500 and that I have a ton of over rev codes in gear and in neutral, which sounds like complete bs to me...It's been serviced elsewhere numerous times before. They have also got a laundry list of replaced items including a fuel filter and pump replaced immediately prior to their receiving it.

13. Banned
    Not a mechanic... but pretty sure max rpms are 6k on the 225.

Edit... I just found an online chart and it said 5750 was max rpms???? Then another chart said 6k....
    Last edited by grout-scout; 04-13-2017 at 05:05 PM.

14. Member
    Loaded WOT RPM's should be 5850-5950 RPM's.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Loaded WOT RPM's should be 5850-5950 RPM's.
    +1

Can't look at the rev limiter as a "fixed figure"- as the PCM may activate Guardian earlier, depending on conditions. If we were to be "technical".... 6300 is the figure.

Earlier, we suggested a spark test and inspection of the plugs, wires, etc (for nicks, abrasions, or evidence of arching). What were the results of that inspection?

16. Member
    The shop still has the boat and is dragging ass on all things do to with it. I have called repeatedly and every time they are "waiting on parts" that cannot be named. I have begun to raise hell, and last conversation they mentioned a $1200 bill with no warranty coverage, while my motor is covered until May. I originally asked only for yearly servicing and remedying this problem posted here. I have asked them specifically to inspect the coil packs and spark test. I have no idea what the result is and may end up taking off work to go in person to resolve at least my relationship with this place. I know they have mentioned replacing of spark plugs (less than 1yr old), replacing prop hub (no request was made for this), replacing sensor temperature part (had a broken ground), replacing fuel filter and pump (which were less than 3 days old at time of arrival to service).

Suffice to say, I am not a happy person this month. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks, and they looked at it an hour after arrival...

17. Member
    Full service and cleaned vst tank, pressure regulator, fuel rails, fuel pump, tracker valve. Compression, fuel pressure, timing, spark checked good. Rerouted water line to fuel rail. new spark plugs, new thermostats(been cleaned a few times and a bit sticky so let it go), new temp sensors (both were reading -23*F), new hub kit (bushing gone on one side), new fuel filter, various gaskets. $515 in parts and 7.1 hr in labor. Will see in the am if any of this mess actually fixed the issue. Mechanic said agressive overrev codes from not putting throttle lever to max before using hotfoot (which I do) and from exceeding 5500 RPM (which everyone w this motor seems to do without codes, I clouding me for 4 yrs), said fuel/air mix was way out of spec.

Pretty certain I got screwed on some things, esp labor since the guy apparently hadn't worked on that motor enough so I paid him to read. Only thing warranty covered was the temp sensors.

Testing tomorrow fully. Will give an update. Shop says it's good but can only run in a tank, ran 5-10 mins mech said. Definitely not good enough to convince me the issue is resolved.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jab0106 View Post
    Full service and cleaned vst tank, pressure regulator, fuel rails, fuel pump, tracker valve. Compression, fuel pressure, timing, spark checked good. Rerouted water line to fuel rail. new spark plugs, new thermostats(been cleaned a few times and a bit sticky so let it go), new temp sensors (both were reading -23*F), new hub kit (bushing gone on one side), new fuel filter, various gaskets. $515 in parts and 7.1 hr in labor. Will see in the am if any of this mess actually fixed the issue. Mechanic said agressive overrev codes from not putting throttle lever to max before using hotfoot (which I do) and from exceeding 5500 RPM (which everyone w this motor seems to do without codes, I clouding me for 4 yrs), said fuel/air mix was way out of spec.

Pretty certain I got screwed on some things, esp labor since the guy apparently hadn't worked on that motor enough so I paid him to read. Only thing warranty covered was the temp sensors.

Testing tomorrow fully. Will give an update. Shop says it's good but can only run in a tank, ran 5-10 mins mech said. Definitely not good enough to convince me the issue is resolved.
    Red flags for me reading your story......

I'll be surprised if your problem is corrected. The issue you describe sounds like a intermittent coil/spark issue, that is why I said (and Don agreed) that you need to "perform a spark test as the problem is occurring"

Good Luck.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Red flags for me reading your story......

I'll be surprised if your problem is corrected. The issue you describe sounds like a intermittent coil/spark issue, that is why I said (and Don agreed) that you need to "perform a spark test as the problem is occurring"

Good Luck.
    I agree. Sounds like a cylinder(s) are misfiring.

20. Member
    I agree with you both. Don't know what more I can do than drop off at the authorized mechanic as is when last time shut down had issue occuring though.
    Last edited by jab0106; 04-19-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: More

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast