Mercury Serpentine belt

I have a 2015 Mercury Optimax 150hp. It's shredding my Serpentine belt! I'm bringing it to the shop tomorrow but my question is, does anyone know where I can get a belt for cheap? I paid $80 for 1 belt and my motor ate it!! Any info will be appreciated!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No "cheap" (good) belt.

Need to determine if tensioner is working properly, compressor good, alternator spinning freely, etc.

Since your engine is a 2.5L model, see:
    Engine posts in APPROPRIATE FORUM, Please

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Alternator bracket was broken

4. Member
    Isn't it still under warranty?

5. Member
    whats ser num
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Was going to say there is a reason it's shredding them, glad you found it.

As far as a cheap alternative, Mercury is hard to cross so parts stores will tell you they dont have it...

I went upstairs at the local NAPA and matched my Merc belt to one they had in stock, exact same belt at 1/3-1/2 the cost, worked great they have quality belts
    Last edited by J Risco; 03-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    Yes it's still under warranty. Mechanic had to order part. Waiting for it to come in so he can install. I'm not sure of the serial number!

8. Member
    good deal
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. mikesxpress
    After belt shredding the stuff will be all over inside the cowling and lower pan. It can also get sucked into the air plenum. You need to get all of that out before running it.

10. Member
    for sure ^^^^^^^

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    After belt shredding the stuff will be all over inside the cowling and lower pan. It can also get sucked into the air plenum. You need to get all of that out before running it.
    VERY critical. May have already made it's way into the intake, reeds, air compressor (or even the air side of the fuel system).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Well the alternator bracket/bushings were changed, the tensioner spring was changed and still no progress!!! Been at the shop for 3 weeks now. I guess all that's left is to change the compressor!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What Part Number BELT is being installed?

Please also provide Engine Serial Number (see Announcements at top of the Forum). Thanks!