Lake of the Arbuckles

Hey Guys,

Heading down to Arbuckle tomorrow from NW Arkansas and was curious if the lake is "easy to run"
    Is there anything in particular a first time fisherman would need to know about navigating the lake... any stumps or areas that have caused boaters problems in the past.

Any information would be helpful.

What's the fishing been like on Arbuckle lately. Has the warming trend pushed them to beds or are they still in pre-spawn?
    Just trying to maximize time and fishing efficiency since I've only got two days.

Thanks again!
    John Griesse
    1997 Stratos 201 pro elite DC
    1997 Johnson Venom 200

2. Member
    John, I went yesterday and had very mild success. I didn't get to spend much time on the water either plus it being a weekend and was fishing with about 10 other boats in similar areas. I will pass along my thoughts and hopefully it helps but I will add that I am still learning this lake as I have only been there a handful of times. I did manage to pick up a decent smallmouth on a perch colored swim bait (Keitech) on the western main lake point entering rock creek. At the main lake point I found the water temp to be 58. Decided to go to the back of rock creek (Middle lake arm) since the water temp was higher than I expected. Entering the very back of rock creek I found the water temp to be 64 in spots. I also found about 10 other boats haha. I knew that they were bed fishing so I started looking along the shallows and saw a good amount of fish. Saw a couple 5-6#+ fish running in pairs in the flooded grass and along the edges. Just couldn't get them to bite anything! I'm sure I was about the 100th person to try that day....... So frustrating knowing that they are there and seeing them. If I were you I would head to the back of the creeks and try and pick those mommas up. Water is very clear in the main lake and stained to murky in the back of the creeks. As far as hazards there's not a whole lot but the ones that are there are doozies. Head over to http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@11&key=kvfqE~y_oQ and check out Arbuckle. On the south side of the dam around the point there is two rock piles that will barely be submerged or barley sticking out of the water since the lake level is normal. Watch out for timber in the back of the creeks. I haven't spent much time on the southern side so I'm no help there. I hope your trip is a success and have a great time. I'm sure a lot more knowledgeable people will chime in as well.
    1985 Ranger 373V
    2018 Ranger RT198P *SOLD*
    2019 Ranger Z521C

I fish that lake often for years. You can run open just about anywhere. Just be prudent and don't cut too close to any point, some of them extend pretty far out. The lake level is up pretty good now so you shouldn't have any trouble. Any hazardous areas with most likely be in a no wake zone or back of a creek. The water in most places is clear enough to see anything to stay clear from. There are two islands in the Buckhorn arm, just southeast of the dam area, that are almost completely submerged right now. They are marked with white pole markers but can be missed if you're not looking for them.

I have to confess that it's been tough fishing for me this year. I've been fishing pretty regularly since early Feb. and the best I've done is a one or two fish in a day. I was there Friday. I talked to a guy at the ramp, who told me that he was finding fish shallow and saw several beds. I looked all over the lake and I not only didn't see any beds, I also never found any shallow fish. The only fish that day was closer to the first break than the bank. We hit Murray yesterday and it was very similar....caught 2 or 3 up shallow in the reeds early and then that dried up. Fished deep...shallow and everything in between for the rest of the day for bupkis.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    I saw yall today. I was in the black and white Ranger. I didn't catch a fish lol. I was trying to bed fish and I just don't have the patience for it. They are a few up, but it's just not my cup of tea.

We ended up going to Lake Fork that afternoon Mike Z.
    Caught about 10-15 fish on Fork, nothing big.
    Fish were heading to beds, but couldn't locate the big girls.
    John Griesse
    1997 Stratos 201 pro elite DC
    1997 Johnson Venom 200