Need help choosing the right battery

Current set up
    - '01 225 efi
    - 36v fortrex 112
    -helix 12 gen 1 SI & 1199 SI
    -bilge and aerator pumps etc.

currently have 3 yocam group 31 deep cycle batteries. Everything runs off these 3 batteries so one doubles as my cranking/house battery. I'm fixing to add dual blades so I can't put off adding a fourth battery anymore. Boat is a gambler intimidator and space in the compartment is limited. I want to go with an agm to serve as my cranking & house battery and leave the 3 wet 31's for the trolling motor.
    Will a group 27 dual purpose agm be enough to cover cranking, electronics, poles, etc. ? I could fit a 27 on it's side and build a bracket for the power pole pumps to mount just above it. If I have to go larger then I will have to love either a battery or the two pumps to a forward compartment which I really don't want to do.

Any ideas?

2. Member
    Pretty sure with that engine that it is suggested to only use a traditional (non-deep cycle) wet crank battery. Somebody should be along shortly to verify.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Yep. Excess electrical load is a problem with the charging system on those engines. Merc recommends against deep-cycles. My opinion is that the use rather than the battery type is the issue. When that engine has a heavy charging load, the regulators are stressed. Keep an eye on voltage while running, and inspect the wiring for the regulators regularly for signs of overheating. Be sure to charge fully while off the water.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Ok so I shouldn't buy a dual purpose? If I buy a regular starting battery will it have the capacity to run all of my other electronics?

5. Member
    I have a noco 4 bank charger that stays plugged up when I'm not using the boat

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor17 View Post
    Ok so I shouldn't buy a dual purpose? If I buy a regular starting battery will it have the capacity to run all of my other electronics?
    Problem is your outboard can't handle the load long term. A deep cycle or dual purpose is your best bet, just keep an eye on your outboard electrical system
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member

8. Member
    Thank you for all of the advice!
    probably a stupid question but where are the regulators located?

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor17 View Post
    Thank you for all of the advice!
    probably a stupid question but where are the regulators located?
    They are square aluminum boxes with two red, two yellow, a gray and a black wire coming out of them on the back of the engine.

This post has a picture of what you don't want to see.
    nothing else matters.​