Thread: What to buy

David Taylor

What to buy

I have ran HB forever and would love to switch to 100% Garmin but can't afford that. I am consider doing away with one of my HB and the 360 and replacing it with panoptix. I would be running two 1199 HB front and back and one Garmin up front strictly for panoptix. What is the best/cheapest way to do it? Looking for a 10 or 12 inch screen. I m not real familiar with the different models.

2. Member
    Im a garmin rookie but i think the least expensive route would be the 93sv units. I know they are panoptics capable. Units run right around 1k for the head unit and i think an additional 1k for the panoptics transducer.

3. Member
    The cheapest 9" is going to be a EchoMap CHIRP 93sv. Its only 9" and its not touch screen. Around $800 now plus the Panoptix. NOT networkable.

To get 10" or 12" is a big jump in price. The next jump is going to be something like the new 1042xs at around $2000 after rebate.

My pick is the GPSMap 7610xsv (or 12" version) - full touch screen, top of the line. Retail is $2699 before $200 rebate.

12" models are a jump up from there.

Unfortunately, you cant trust the specs or descriptions on the website at the moment. There are errors on a bunch of Garmin product pages and they have not fixed them yet. In the descriptions, they say some models come with things they do not come with and dont say specifics about things they do come with - like which transducer - and the specs are wrong or incomplete in many cases. Customer support seems to be relying on the webpages to give answers, so they are often giving out the wrong info as well. I dont know how you are going to get the straight skinny until they get things straightened out.

We can answer some questions for you, but not all.

Despite the web confusion issues they are having, Garmin is still tops with me.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

4. Member
    Where are you seeing the 9" echomap going for 800?? Does that come with any transducer ? Ive been passively looking at havent found any that cheap.

5. Member
    If you really want a 10 inch screen.You might want to see if you can find a used GPSMAP 1040 XS. I run Panoptix on mine and am totally satisfied with it. last I looked there was one in the Electronics forum. The poster was asking 1200.00 for it.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Where are you seeing the 9" echomap going for 800?? Does that come with any transducer ? Ive been passively looking at havent found any that cheap.
    There is a company on ebay selling the non chirp version for 699. It comes with the GT40 transducer

7. Member
    Non chirp version cannot run panoptix.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Check with some of the board sponsors for a quote. You may not be able to beat their prices.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Check with some of the board sponsors for a quote. You may not be able to beat their prices.
    Thanks for the heads up. When I go to purchase I will indeed do that

Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    Non chirp version cannot run panoptix.
    I know but they are the only ones I've seen for less than a grand and he asked

11. Member
    They have been going on/off sale at various dealers and on-line for the last several weeks. Google it and see what pops up, but definitely contact the board sponsors.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....