Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I may be crazy, but how are these boats called the best performing boats when most agree they are hard to drive to its full potential? I read on thread after thread, people saying these "fast" boats are the best performing, yet only the really experienced drivers can get that performance out of it. To me, performance is being able to go WOT and drive with 1 hand, not pissing blood when you get to your honey hole, the best fuel mileage and a heck of a platform for fishing once the TM is put down. Who cares if it's 2 mph slower if you're not stressed out and wore out when you get there!
    Then you are in the market class of wanting a boat that goes the same speed with more hp pushing it. Nothing wrong with that, I'm right there with you.

More performance, usually from less hp, more driving required in anything with a motor.

I was in same boat, looking at Skeeter vs Phoenix. Got in a new ZX250 for same price as dealer wanted for Phoenix 919. Phoenix has more bells and whistles but bang fr buck the ZX250 is a awesome fishing platform and very stable to drive. I have spent time in both and both are nice rigs but the ZX was best choice for me. No regrets and the Yamaha has been a BEAST and has ran flawless. I have 220hrs on mine and NO REGRETS!!!
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

3. Member
    Since you're an inexperienced boater, I will tell you that the Skeeter will be the easiest to drive. You can literally be hands off at 70+, whereas the Phoenix is going to require some serious handling on your part at 70+. I'd go with Skeeter as the attention to detail is definitely there.

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    Since you're an inexperienced boater, I will tell you that the Skeeter will be the easiest to drive. You can literally be hands off at 70+, whereas the Phoenix is going to require some serious handling on your part at 70+. I'd go with Skeeter as the attention to detail is definitely there.
    This is very true statement but wide open throttle is such a small part of my day that it's ability to handle big water and rough water and then add its comfort while fishing is all considered performance. A team in our bass club has a new
    zx250 and I really did consider it but the price of this Phoenix was great.

5. Member
    I was in your boat exactly. I was convinced i wanted a phoenix, then i fished out of my buddies zx250 and drove it in less than favorable conditions. I loved both boats but ultimately landed in a phoenix 921 because i found a really good deal. One thing youll notice in the 721 is that front deck will be narrower than the zx250. Being as its your first boat id go with the skeeter because it is much easier to drive than a phoenix. I love my bird and will likely buy another one when this is gone, but in your situation the skeeter might fot the bill better
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    If you are looking at the package boats you can't go wrong with either. I think the Phoenix is the better of the two but prefer the skeeter more for the layout. Get in both and picture how you would organize your gear. Get the one that fits your vision best.

7. Member
    I can't speak for Phoenix but I can for the zx250 as far as ride and handling it is supreme and especially in rough water like me and kerry experienced on lake guntersville a couple of months back .. I would have been scared in anything else
    2017 Skeeter ZX250
    2017 Yamaha SHO 250

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    It's the same as a performace sports car. You can't expect to drive a 'Vette at 150+ with no driver input.

My 21XD is much more stable at 70mph than any other cookie cutter...where you'd be "white knuckled". At 70 it's still pulling...but begins to require more driver input.

Sorry, but you're not driving any bass boat 70mph+ casually, one handed.

I beg beg to differ ,my buddies 496 charger with a 300 will run 78 loaded and driver in put is 0 .Theres boats that will flat wear your ass out and others that won't.

The ZX 250 is the best value out there right now for a new 21 foot 250hp rig in my opinion. The Phoenix is a really nice boat as well. I have been in a Skeeter for 7 years now and I have been beyond impressed with this boat. I have looked really hard at the Phoenix and like them a lot - not afraid of a little driver input as I'm used to Champions and Tritons - that said I can take my hands off the wheel at 75mph plus in my Skeeter - just a real pleasure to drive. Also the most important thing to me is rough water ride and Skeeter has it nailed here. The Phoenix is very nice also though. I can buy any boat I want and my next boat will more than likely be a ZX250 with an SHO. Whatever I get it will definitely have the SHO - awesome motor.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Both nice boats and either can be had for pretty close to the same price for the package deals. The Phoenix will out perform the skeeter. The skeeters are easier to drive wide open but the Phoenix is better in rough water. They will both fish good. I'm partial to Phoenix but I drive my dad's skeeter sometimes. I considered a fx but I'm glad I went Phoenix.

11. Member
    As we have read, there is a lot to consider when buying a new boat. After it' all said and done get the one you like best and enjoy.
    Happy fishing!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I beg beg to differ ,my buddies 496 charger with a 300 will run 78 loaded and driver in put is 0 .
    I thought this was all Chargers.

After reading this thread, I now know the definition of "performance boats".

Fast.

Here is the video that Jon was referencing lol. Jon was on first few trips out in his new 2017 ZX250 and I was following in my 2015 ZX250. Solid 4" chop, ZX series loves the rough

Last edited by Kerry201pro; 03-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

15. Member
    I shopped a Phoeinix 721 and asked the salesman if it would chine walk. He said " well you have to drive through it" and after having driven a zx 250 already my mind was made up. I can't see paying that much for a boat and having to work while behind the wheel. I just bought a new zx 250 and all I have to do is aim it and give it gas, just like my 3 previous Skeeters.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry201pro View Post
    Here is the video that Jon was referencing lol. Jon was on first few trips out in his new 2017 ZX250 and I was following in my 2015 ZX250. Solid 4ft chop, ZX series loves the rough

Doesn't look to me like the boat likes it rough. That or you can't drive.

17. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    Doesn't look to me like the boat likes it rough. That or you can't drive.
    Looked to me like great driving, you have 2 choices either get wet or get beat. He has his nose up and got wet but never speared a wave.good driving bud

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry201pro View Post
    Here is the video that Jon was referencing lol. Jon was on first few trips out in his new 2017 ZX250 and I was following in my 2015 ZX250. Solid 4ft chop, ZX series loves the rough

4ft chop!?!?!!! Then I've Been in 8 footers

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    [/B]
    Yes there is. Done it for years in my 2003 521vx. I maxed it out at 73.7 when I first bought it but after loading it down and beating my prop up a little, I could still hit 70 easy and it was like driving a Cadillac. One hand on the wheel, every where you went. No chine walk or white knuckling.

Rode 70 miles one way with Bill Lowen in his Skeeter, 70-72 the whole way with 2 fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel, his other hand in his pocket. Just 1 example of many. I've also been with several Elites in Tritons and Cats that fought the wheel and chine walk the whole day. Could've been the drivers not the boats.

Now I have seen a lot of guys driving like you're talking about. White knuckling back and forth on the steering wheel while driving 70-74.
    Damm, what Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    Damm, what Lake?
    Bull Shoals last year

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast