Prop help for 2008 20xhp with 250 Pro XS

Hi guys, I am hoping the prop whispers here can help point me into the right direction. While out fishing today with a fellow BBC'er I slung a good sized chunk of ear off my favorite prop a worked 27 Bravo I XS (2nd time in the past 4 to 5 years). I bought this boat new back in 2008 and it took me about 2-3 years and 4-5 props to settle in on the Bravo I XS but now I am thinking of giving the Fury 4 a try. Here's a brief history of props and outcomes I have tried over the years:

**Full disclosure I run a heavy load thus performance with 2 people, full gear, 40+ gallons of fuel, and full live wells is way more important to me than gaining those extra mph's running solo & light.

27 Trophy+--This is the prop I ordered to come on the boat when it was new and to date it was by far the fastest on top end, however hole shot suffered (even with blowout ring & multiple PVS combinations), it wouldn't load onto the trailer, didn't handle great (especially at lower plane speeds). Within 6 months it slung an ear so I decided to try something new.

27 Tempest (B&B by Mark Croxton)--This prop was fair but didn't have a great hole shot and didn't do well carrying a load.

26 Fury 3 (B&B by MC)--This prop by far performed the worst as it wouldn't lift my hulk at all, even after having it worked).

Razor 4--I still have this prop and never got the hole shot dialed in to really test it out. In its defense I didn't put a lot of time into it as shortly after getting it my Bravo I XS came in. I am going to circle back to it this summer and see how it does.

Bravo I XS--It ran pretty dang good out of the box, good hole shot (great after having 2 additional PVS holes drilled), stays on plane at lower speeds, handles like on rails, lifts the whole boat, all of this while being fully loaded. I guess the only real downside to this prop is this is the 2nd time a big ear chunk has slung off (previously repaired).

Thus here is my delima, do I get this prop repaired for the 2nd time or do I try the new Fury 4? If I go with the Fury 4 I then have to decide and on the 25 or 26 pitch? I could turn the 27 Bravo I XS (which I want to say was more like a 26.5) every bit of 6050 rpms fully loaded and close to 6200 light. But from what I have read the Fury 4 is a bit more stout thus I am leaning toward the 25 as I really like a strong hole shot and again I pretty much always run heavy and with 2 people.

After all these years and various props it is clear to me that my boat (how I run/load it) simply runs better with a 4 blade which is why this new Fury has peaked my interest. What do you guys think, does anyone have any experience running the Fury 4 on a 2008 20xhp with a 250, or running this prop in comparison to a Bravo I XS? As always thanks for your help and hopefully I'll get it all figured out and fixed up soon.

Thanks, Todd

If the Bravo is not damaged beyond repair....I would defiantly repair it if it's your favorite. I have an ol Bravo 1 Mark has welded up cracks twice over the years and that prop has a ton of hours on it and I can spin in the high 80s without issue....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    The fury 4 is not as stiff as fury 3. I can spin a 26 fury 4 to 6000, right at 75 with a good load. You might try a worked 26 tempest, Mark worked mine and it carries a load as good as any prop I've tried.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

4. Member
    I run a 26 tempest worked by mark in hotter weather and the 27 tempest in cool weather, I have not tried the fury 4 or bravo so I cant compare them to either of those
    2008 Triton tr20xhp 250 pro xs
    16' Roughneck Johnson 60/40 jet

5. Member
    I also have an 08 21Xhp w/ 250 Proxs. My conclusion is that the best prop is a 26 Tempest B&B'ed by Mark. Don't waste your time with a used or repaired props. Trust me even the best can't make an old one run like new. The only 4 blade that I tested was a 26 Trophy. It was fast before it got damaged and then repaired. If your heavily loaded you need to run a lower pitch and except the sacrifice in top speed. My 26 Temp is a balance for me and I run relatively light. Although I just went from a 101 Maxxum to a 112 Fortrex which hurt. My setup is 2.5" below pad and runs 77.5mph at 6krpm with 23-25psi.

6. Member
    Thanks guys for all the info. I put the Razor 4 on yesterday afternoon and spent a few hours on the lake tweaking the PVS setup, and after a few adjustments it ran pretty good. Didn't get to do top end testing (wife & 4 year old in the boat) but was able to dial in the hole shot with full fuel and live wells. I am going to run it the next few fishing trips and see how it performs while my Bravo I XS is getting fixed and I'll probably end up trying a 26 Fury 4 at some point (can never have too many props...). Again thanks for all the input. Todd

7. Member
    Bravo1 and Fury 4 will be slower that a GOOD Tempest on your boat.......depends on what you want.