Thread: Grease or Oil?

Grease or Oil?

On your handgun slides and metal contact points, which one and why?

2. Member
    On a gun that gets used often I use Mobil one. I use eezox on the ones that sit.

3. Member
    Depends on the Gun really.

If it's a poly gun & you just want to lube where lock-up is.....any oil(Hoppes, remoil) will do (no grease BTW). If you are talking 1911 or all metal frames like CZ.......Eezox all the way for the entire assembly.....then place a very light coating of this in the slide area.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Break...er/1256672.uts

and a mean a very light coating!

As far as the Eezox thing.....go read up on it & it's corrosion performance!! Stuff ranks really high on my "Must Have" for gun maintenance. I used to use Ballistol & rem oil till I learned more about this.

I also have Eezox gun oil as well as the precision shooter. Both seem to be very good for the years I have been using them.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    On a gun that gets used often I use Mobil one. I use eezox on the ones that sit.
    Mobil-1 is Hydroscopic & can absorb & carry moisture as it was intended to do in an engine. I will only advise against it using on a gun based on that characteristic alone. it is a good lubricant in itself, but was never truly designed to be for guns due the nature of motor oil.

5. Member
    I use Weapon shield Oil and Shooters Choice Grease. Although I recently purchased some of the Wilson Combat oil and grease but haven't used it yet.

6. Member
    I been been hearing a lot of good things about WC oil and grease for several yrs now. Some say the grease is no more than rebottled frog lube. I have no info if that is true or not.....But a lot of users really like it. There are 4 grades of there oil though.

Otherwise, I would buy some if I didn't have a lot of other crap I've been using for years

I had a guy once say he used to used rocket fuel (for reels) on his guns. Said it worked really well, unsure if it was OK up to 300+ reg though

BTW....Oil on all hand guns, grease on rifles hard moving/high friction parts....IE the fire group.