USA Legend V20 Review

Ok Guys so I'm going to give my first review of the 2015 V20 w/Mercury Optimax 250 and 12" Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate. Overall I love the boat. Bought it new 3-17-2016 so I feel I can give it a fair review. First let me say I entered the Legend coming from a Ranger 520 so for all you folks that like to compare everything to a Ranger here you go.

1. Ride.....As good or better than any boat I've driven. Handles rough water (Pamlico, Chowan, Kerr, Gaston on Memorial Day) great. Better than my Ranger

2. Speed......I'm not a huge speed guy as I like comfort over speed any day. That being said, I can do 73.2 according to lowrance GPS with full tourney load, 3/4-full tank, 2 8ft power poles, regular batteries, front pedestal seat stowed in front locker, and two rolls of TP.

3. Fishability......Just as stable as my Ranger but with a wider front deck. Also, the gunnels are significantly lower than my Ranger which I like. I never had any issues with the higher Gunnels I just like the lower better.

4. Livewells......Legends are huge and keep fish alive. Rangers kept fish alive just as well.

5. Handling.....The Legend handles more "sporty" I guess. Both boats handle good but it seems the Legend handles a little better at higher speeds

6. Trailer...... Both good trailers. My spare tire use to rub on my Ranger as it was side mounted. Tore a hole in my spare cover. Legend Spare tire frame also rubs on some ramps. Overall I think the Legend trailer (Illusion 2 EZ Loader) looks cooler with the LED Lights and legend logo lit up.

7. Cover.... I've seen worse but the Legend Cover is not that great. It holds water terrible so I have to put a small trash can on front deck to hold cover up EVEN with front and rear poles that are made to keep water off. Two of the 4 buckles that are made to tighten the cover on the sides and rear broke within the first 2 months. The ratchet in the rear gets stuck often so I have to use a pair of pliers to get it loose. Also, the stitching where the trolling motor is started coming out within a month or two. I will say Legend said I could send it back to Cover Manufacturer to have stitching repaired but then my boat would be uncovered for several weeks which I don't think should be the option to a boat that is less than a year old. For a boat at this price and this nice they should definitely put a little more R&D in something as simple as a cover. The Ranger Cover however was AWESOME!!!

8. Miscellaneous.......The boat does let water over the transom when you let out of the throttle quickly and you must really feather the throttle or turn when coming off plane to avoid this. I've heard guys say with the hole shot plates installed on the jack plate this over wash is reduced dramatically. When this over wash happens the water gets in the lip of the rear compartments and cannot get out so the rim of the back compartments stay wet when the lids are closed. Their are drain holes around the rim of these compartments but for some reason they are towards the front of the boat so all the water builds up at the rear. There is no way for the water to drain out. I open my compartments when I get home use a towel to wipe the rims out and leave the lids open as long as possible.

Overall, I love the Legend. Pretty much every time I hit the water someone at the ramp is asking about the boat and wanting info on Legends. They are great looking boats and great riding. Are there some things I would change, Sure but who wouldn't change something about anything they own. I am more than pleased with my purchase I would recommend anyone considering one to go ahead and jump on a Legend.

2. Member
    Glad you like it. I also get compliments every time on the water.
    Nitro z21

Love my Legend, the only gripe I have is no local dealers in my area of northeast Pa.

Sounds like a honest review. Thanks for sharing...My quick review of the two from my experiences and I'll use the same format:

1) The V20 rode way better than the 520c.
    2) The 520c is on average 2 mph faster with a tournament load...Not a sound comparison though because the V20 had a 250 XS and the 520c has a 250 HO G2.
    3) The 520c is more stable with the trolling motor down...I prefer the lower gunnels of the V20 as well.
    4) I prefer the V20 livewells and the way that they are designed to operate with the touch pad. I don't like the flow-rite controls that the 520c has.
    5) This one is a push in my opinion but if I had to pick I'd probably go with the V20.
    6) Push
    7) Push
    8) Not going to comment on this one...