Mercury 2 stroke oil injection

Hi all. New to the forum but appreciate the wealth of knowledge shared here. I am refurbishing a late 80's cajun maverick that has a 115 2 stroke oil injection motor. The boat and motor have been in storage for a long time - 20 years to be exact. I bought the unit new in the late 80's and in the late mid nineties - along came wife, kids, etc, and life kinda got in the way for a few years. Anyway, dusting her off the last few weeks to find out what I got. My question mainly is the motor. Alot of the oil jection lines where vinyl. Over the years, they cracked and literally fell into piece- so much so that other than two barbs being bigger, it was essentially impossible to figure out what line was where. I have done my best to reroute the lines to what I think is right, but after filling the resivoir with oil, there is nothing in the sight glass tube on the side. I have searched and search for a good oil line schematic for this engine that would show the exact routing of these, but really not sure if that is normal for a motor that had all the oil literally drain out of it....or is there an air lock someplace? I thought I would ask someone more knowledgeable than me.

Also, I have done the normal stuff, filters, plugs, drained the tank, carbs, squirted oil into the cylinders, drained the lower unit, etc, but is there anything on these that after sitting that long that I should just chuck in the corner before even trying to start it? The units spins over by hand fine, and appears to be mechanically in good shape. TIA

2. Member
    Don't know much about the routing of the oil lines but you might want to bebuild the fuel pump. i went through the same thing as your dealing with, 2002 90hp Merc.Good luck.

3. Member
    Don't forget to change the water pump impeller.

4. Member
    mix it 50;1 on 6gal first start / serv man will show hoses/ I would replace 2 psi check valve also that's fitting where oil mixes with fuel/you prob gonna need lil pump mounted just below throttle cam also has diaphragm in it/ youll be lucky if float not bad in oil tank beeper will sound but oil is not low
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Oil line routing is not critical as long as the lines are hooked up into the correct places. Almost any marine parts supplier will have an exploded view diagram showing the connection of the oil lines. You just need to go to their web page and look up your serial number and then look at the diagram for the fuel pump. There may also be some oil lines on the crankcase diagram if your outboard has oil bleed lines. After replacing all of the lines, it is a very good suggestion to run 50:1 oil in your gas until you verify the oil pump is working. You should also put a repair kit in your fuel pump, replace the fuel filter, and replace all of your fuel lines. These older lines were not designed for ethanol gas and will deteriorate. Better to replace them now before they come apart and plug up everything. The fuel line on your boat should be replaced as well as it won't be rated for ethanol either.