Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    TY sir, appreciate it. One last question if you don't mind, appreciate your taking the time to help. If I add up the amp draw from electronics, for example, how do I calculate how much time I'd get out of a battery for a given amp-hour rating? I thought I had a handle on this, and now I'm confused. Lets say I have a total of 7 amps draw from electronics and a battery with 195min RC, 95Ah @ 20hr rate, 88.5 Ah @ 10-hr rate. Man, I thought I had a handle on this....appreciate any help.
    Hey 1blue,
    Glad to help where I can.
    On that note, I by no means am an expert in the battery world. I know just enough to get me in trouble

With that being said, here's some info I've used to help me figure out amps,volts, run time, etc.

Reserve Capacity (RC) is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 o F (26.7 o C) is discharged at 25 amps before the voltage falls below 10.5 volts. To convert Reserve Capacity (RC) to Ampere-Hours at the 25 amp rate, multiple RC by .4167. More ampere-hours (or RC) are better in every case.

For example, if your trolling motor is drawing a steady 20 amps and you want it to last 1 hour you would start out with Step 1:
    C=20 amps * 1 hour = 20 AH
    Then proceed to Step 2
    C’ = 20 AH / 0.8 = 25 AH
    Then take the high rate into account
    C’‘=25 /.5 = 50 AH
    Thus you would need a 50 amp hour sealed lead acid battery to run the trolling motor for 1 hour at 20 amps average draw.
    Im sure this is clear as mud now. Lol.

Look up Lou r Pitcher here. He definitely seems to know his business when it comes to this stuff.
    2016 F-150 2.7L EcoBoost 4x4 Northland Edition/Shadow Black
    2017 721 ProXP/250 Mercury Pro XS
    10" Bobs hydraulic, powder coated black
    Duel 12' Black Talons w/ black powder coated brackets
    36 volt Lithium Pro w/Stealth charger/112 Ultrex
    Dual HDS12 Gen 3
    Hydrowave

2. Member
    No, that helps. Thanks very much. Yeah, agree, Lou is a batery guru around here. Thanks!!
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to your cranking battery. If you want to put 2 in parallel I think its a great idea. Currently on my boat I have an X2 Power 31 AGM (2150 CA 1150 CCA and 220 Reserve Capacity). I can fish 16 hours on it without putting my graphs in standby and still fire the motor up no problem. The X2 Power AGM is 2 batteries in 1. 1 dedicated for starting the motor and 1 for accessories like pumps and electronics. How does it work? I have no idea but its a BA battery. .
    I've got the same battery, it is a beast! The Cabelas X900 is the same battery with different decals.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Quote Originally Posted by E5Zero View Post
    I've got the same battery, it is a beast! The Cabelas X900 is the same battery with different decals.
    Yep I see you link it all the time in threads. One of the many great accessories more my boat that I would not want to be without.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Anyone ever give a thought to wiring power poles off of one of the trolling motor batteries?
    I have my two pole powered buy a tm battery each. I have 36v tm only down side would be increasing the possibility of wearing out 2 batteries before the third... I figure 2 times a year I'll switch the leads one battery at a time.

Wiring two in parallel would be a good idea if you had concerns about draining with graphs and pumps in a 10-12 hour day. Or get one of those beast mode batteries Haus has.

If you do two, make sure they are the same. Dont want to mix a wet cell with a AGM. Identical batteries would probably be best.

7. Member
    There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to your cranking battery. If you want to put 2 in parallel I think its a great idea. Currently on my boat I have an X2 Power 31 AGM (2150 CA 1150 CCA and 220 Reserve Capacity). I can fish 16 hours on it without putting my graphs in standby and still fire the motor up no problem. The X2 Power AGM is 2 batteries in 1. 1 dedicated for starting the motor and 1 for accessories like pumps and electronics. How does it work? I have no idea but its a BA battery. I also have the Tournament saver pro jump starter and I just got a NOCO Genius Boost HD jump start pack that is supposedly good for up to 40 starts on a single charge and rated for up to an 8.0L motor. I hope to never need to use it but its great piece of mind.
    I have the same battery with (3) 12" Gen 2's. I get low voltage warning on graphs and they flicker after about 3 hours without cranking the big motor. Battery is about 3 months old.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripsalip2 View Post
    I'll be doing the same. That way both batteries are drawn down equally, giving you more than enough juice for everything for a day. Especially helpful if you have large electronics like HDS 12s.
    I run a stealth charging system with one lead 31 series and only one 36 volt lithium pro trolling battery. 28pounds. My big motor charges up everything on the run. I have no plug in charger or one in the garage.
    Plenty of room to add another battery in parallel to the cranking.
    If your Stealth keeps the TM battery fully charged, then you have zero need for a second cranking battery. You could even downsize to a smaller cranking battery because your outboard is keeping your cranking battery near 100% charge or it would never put any charge into the TM battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dillon View Post
    I have the same battery with (3) 12" Gen 2's. I get low voltage warning on graphs and they flicker after about 3 hours without cranking the big motor. Battery is about 3 months old.
    Does the motor crank? And do the graphs show the same voltage at the battery directly?

MLF Invitationals Angler

10. Member
    Does the motor crank? And do the graphs show the same voltage at the battery directly?
    Yes, the motor cranks. Units display 11.77 and at the battery it's 12.68+. The console units are wired direct to the battery and the bow unit is wired to the switch at the console. Probably need to upgrade the wiring but really didn't start having this issue until the last couple of trips.

I think my options are upgrade the wiring or add another battery... adding another battery, I'd think, would solve it for sure. It's pretty frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dillon View Post
    Yes, the motor cranks. Units display 11.77 and at the battery it's 12.68+. The console units are wired direct to the battery and the bow unit is wired to the switch at the console. Probably need to upgrade the wiring but really didn't start having this issue until the last couple of trips.

I think my options are upgrade the wiring or add another battery... adding another battery, I'd think, would solve it for sure. It's pretty frustrating.
    I installed new wires on my graphs this winter and my voltage on the graphs are .5-.7volts less than my mercury monitor. But I've yet to measure my voltage at the battery to see exactly what that shows. I'm running my motor, jackplate, sonic hub, 4 graphs and 2 poles all on her. I need to put bigger wires in for my graphs.

MLF Invitationals Angler

I ALWAYS go one size if not two, up from mfg recommended on graphs. I also wire direct as well, never tap into a power supply for todays electronics for best performance.

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    TY sir, appreciate it. One last question if you don't mind, appreciate your taking the time to help. If I add up the amp draw from electronics, for example, how do I calculate how much time I'd get out of a battery for a given amp-hour rating? I thought I had a handle on this, and now I'm confused. Lets say I have a total of 7 amps draw from electronics and a battery with 195min RC, 95Ah @ 20hr rate, 88.5 Ah @ 10-hr rate. Man, I thought I had a handle on this....appreciate any help.
    there are a few app to do this but here is a simple web app that might help https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...to-a-load.html
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12