Thread: Bratwurst ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bratwurst ...

If you have an Aldi store near you, this week they have these brats that are imported from Germany. They're actually very tasty, better than a Johnsonville by a long shot. They don't come around often, when they do I stock the freezer as it's pretty tough to get good brats close by here.

Ranting incoherently

Thanks I'll check our store out.
    Original Member Of The Low Bucks Last Minute Race Team

3. Banned

I will give them a shot.... My wife buys the healthier stuff.... TURKEY sausage...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Nothing like a good brat

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I will give them a shot.... My wife buys the healthier stuff.... TURKEY sausage...
    I know they are better for you but my stomach gets upset with most turkey style sausages.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No Aldi's in my area. I had one in Anderson, SC when I lived up there but never really liked the store. Seemed like the second hand grocery store to me like a bargain foods. The Brats look good though.

Brats are great, never tried those. I love simmering them in beer,onions, peppers and the hit the grill.

9. Banned
    O'er a bed of Spaetzle w/some good gravy..

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    No Aldi's in my area. I had one in Anderson, SC when I lived up there but never really liked the store. Seemed like the second hand grocery store to me like a bargain foods. The Brats look good though.
    Most of the products are private label with occasional national brands. They maintain a core inventory of staple items and then there's a lot of things that come and go on a weekly "specials" basis. There are many hidden gems there as well as some unique specialty items, but it does have it's share of duds also.

We don't buy meat or bread there and the produce can be hit or miss, but overall the good outweighs the bad.
    Ranting incoherently

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    No Aldis here, either. Glad I can get Johnsonville...

I need to check Harris Teeter. That is the only place I can get really good Rapini (Broccoli Rabe), and they might have the better brats. They are over 50 miles from me, but am near when I go to eye doc.
    Last edited by Lea; 03-18-2017 at 06:17 PM.

We're getting one (Aldi) real soon and I can't wait.

13. Member
    I like brats with craft beer sauerkraut and coarse ground mustard. Sides can be pinto, or navy beans, sometimes taters.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    If you have an Aldi store near you, this week they have these brats that are imported from Germany. They're actually very tasty, better than a Johnsonville by a long shot. They don't come around often, when they do I stock the freezer as it's pretty tough to get good brats close by here.

are you comparing frozen vacuum sealed brats with fresh local Johnsonville brats? Obviously you have never had a Johnsonville brat that has never been frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGCBAG View Post
    are you comparing frozen vacuum sealed brats with fresh local Johnsonville brats? Obviously you have never had a Johnsonville brat that has never been frozen.
    They aren't frozen, they're refrigerated.

I'm not saying Johnsonviles are horrible, I've eaten my share of them, I just like these better.
    Ranting incoherently

They aren't frozen, they're refrigerated.

I'm not saying Johnsonviles are horrible, I've eaten my share of them, I just like these better.
    if they really did come from Germany I am sure they were frozen. I doubt Aldi distribution center is efficient enough to fly them in and distributed them still fresh. They might be thawed at the store and sold as fresh.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    if they really did come from Germany I am sure they were frozen. I doubt Aldi distribution center is efficient enough to fly them in and distributed them still fresh. They might be thawed at the store and sold as fresh.
    You're probably right. For all I know, the Germans might not be fans of them
    Ranting incoherently

You're probably right. For all I know, the Germans might not be fans of them
    Aldi..... Founded in 1913 in of all places.... Essen, Germany. They probably don't know Jack Schitt about brats.

19. Member
    Purnell's brats here; but they are more of a local brand.

https://kurzweilscountrymeats.com

Try some here, fantastic home grown quality. They had a fire in sept, but think they are in a temp place. Give them a call. Had traditional and some great jalapeņo brauts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast